Welcome to the DWG Forums.

View Poll Results: What was your Tribes album?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

11 13.41%
  • The Low End Theory

40 48.78%
  • Midnight Marauders

29 35.37%
  • Beats, Rhymes and Life

2 2.44%
  • The Love Movement

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    3. Midnight Marauders 4 mics

The monotony is its biggest plus AND minus. I love the sound overall, but it has no real standout tracks for me. Perfect to listen to in its entirety on a long train journey for example. It hasn't aged quite as well as its two precursors imho.

2. People's Instinctive Travels 4 mics

Man, I used to love this when it came out! I really like the overall sound. The standout tracks are still as ill as back in the day. However, it arguably has some filler too, which hasn't aged as well. Still, this album puts me in a good mood to this day!

1. The Low End Theory 5 mics

My favorite Tribe album by far. Their masterpiece imho. I can't even begin to count the number of times I played this in my walkman on my way to and from school back when I was about 13. I LOVE the overall sound. But it's also full of standout joints like Jazz, Scenario, Buggin' Out, Check The Rhime, What and Excursions. But I don't think there's a single weak track on it (!?) Has aged like a fine wine. A true classic and most likely one of the top 25 hiphop LPs ever made for my money!

The two latter day Tribe LPs are nice "modern rap" albums to me. I'd give them 3 mics. I enjoyed them but I don't even own them now and I don't really miss them. A far cry from the first three "golden" albums. Less "timeless" qualities.

Peace
    Last edited by Soul Survivor; 12-04-11 at 10:31 AM.

DWG Warrior
    i don't really understand the concept of 'ageing well', it's been mentioned on here a few times in relation to some of tribe's lps.

in my mind ageing well doesn't really come into it, surely it's about how good the music sounds to you as an individual, rather than how it holds up now.

what emotions are evoked, what memories does a piece of music conjure up, ageing well suggests to me that you are taking a piece of music from the past and comparing it to some contemporary music from today? if this is the case, tribe's worst lp would still shit on many contemporary hip hop acts.

i mean some of the big dog collectors pieces in the hip hop world have dated terribly in terms of their sound or production techniques, but they are still great and are still going for lootcakes.

ageing well? bah

I think I meant it in a 'longevity' way, rather than comparing older music to contemporary music. How about if (at the time of release) you loved something, but found over the years it's not as impressive?

For example, I absolutely loved 'Peoples Instinctive Travels' when it came out – I played it to death – but I find some of it a bit hard to sit through these days. 'Midnight Marauders' is as listenable now as it was when it came out, in my opinion.

- edit -

Just realised I never mentioned 'aging' anywhere in my original post! Ignore me and carry on!
    Last edited by Chris; 12-04-11 at 01:55 PM. Reason: I'm a cunt

DWG Warrior
    I can't speak for everyone else, but when I talk about ageing well I don't mean "keeping up with current trends and fads". In fact, I mean quite the opposite! It's when some of the trends and fads of 1991 have worn away that we can truly see which albums and 12"s were "classics" or have stood the test of time, imho.

I would compare it to Shakespeare or something. Timeless qualities that spoke to us then AND now beyond the trends of 1600, 1991 or 2011.

To me The Low End Theory is a perfect example of timelessness. It doesn't sound overtly 1991 in a way that gets in your face, it doesn't adapt too much to certain trends of that era. But it absolutely doesn't sound like it's from 2011 either. It's just timeless!

DWG Warrior
    Chris nailed my thoughts on Midnight Marauders, it's a classic LP but I just think I listened to it far to much when it came out and a lot of the songs annoy me nowadays. I would agree with Soul Survivor that is is a bit monotonous.

If I never heard 'Oh My God' ever again in my life I would be happy a man, its like nails on a chalkboard when I hear it at a club BUT I still get a chill when I hear the horns from Steve Biko because it reminds me of seeing Tribe at Lolapalooza in 1993.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Low End Theory

It changed the sound of hip hop, big double bass, loud drums etc etc, probably one of the best LP's ever made. Plus it has Scenario, Weve got the jazz, and Check the Rhyme on it. Midnight comes in 2nd...
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    1. Low End Theory
    2. People's Instinctive...
    3. Midnight Marauders
    4. Beats Rhymes Life
    5. love movement

I can see an argument for "People's Instinctive Travels.." being number one though. Really, the first 3 for me can change around depending on the day. But the first one was so original and groundbreaking when it dropped and its still not dated.

DWG Warrior
    I still remember the day I bought "People's" on CD. It was one of the first CDs I ever bought. I took s Spanish test later that afternoon. I sat in the first row, first or second seat.
    That was back when I only owned 20-30 rap albums. Albums from back then have a strong advantage because they would get played in entirety 5-10 times per week for months. You start to memorize them in strange ways and pick up on strange details.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by docstrange View Post
    That was back when I only owned 20-30 rap albums. Albums from back then have a strong advantage because they would get played in entirety 5-10 times per week for months. You start to memorize them in strange ways and pick up on strange details.
    so true, i used to know all my tapes back to front, nowadays got so many records, i find i don't rinse albums like i did in my youth & i kinda miss that

DWG Warrior
    You on point, Phife... I tend to miss those days too. I feel overwhelmed nowadays, it's hard to really digest new stuff like I used to as a youth.