Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 386 of 386 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 3860
    DWG Warrior
    Wtf??!!
    It’s a dope 7”, but £100?!!!
    Just seen a copy for £70 on crack head discogs..

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    Don't sweat it, and no disrespect to the artist at all (it is a dope tune) but….

According to Discogs’ sales history, 8 out of the 10 sales of that record sold there went for circa £5, yet someone “apparently” bought one for £100, which has totally skewed the figures.

Reminds me of the time someone offered me a copy of “Chart Moves” for £80, based on one even higher “sale price” on Discogs, which has now mysteriously disappeared from Discogs sales history (perhaps it only shows sales from the last X number of years?)….
    You're right, but a quick price escalation is present and doesn't seem good - during the last couple of years there was a NM copy sold for £25 and then a M for £100 (in the meantime a G+ went for much less but it was obviously battered).

From what I've observed when prices go up like that they rarely go down later on, if somebody grabs the now available VG copy for £70 that would prove a new value being established (and probably hype created). Unfortunately nowadays most record stores consult Discogs to price their stock, and that sucks big time.

By the way, Discogs sales history monitors the last 10 copies sold (no time limit). Another weird fact that skewes the figures.

What really bothers me is not the profit I could have made, a drop in the ocean anyway. But when I spend time & hope & money on gas / tickets to reach an isolated record store, my back hurts after digging through for an hour and finally come across a rare piece and when I ask "how much for this one?" I see on the owner's face that he has no idea what it is so he sits in front of his PC I know what's about to happen and I feel like spontaneous combustion is coming.

DWG Warrior
    Specks story made me feel anxious !!!

DWG Warrior
    funny that the 100£ purchase was made on christmas

DWG Warrior
    Yes!!!
    It’s so f*cking frustrating!
    Many other day that record is in the £2 bin & he does t know/give a shit what it is.
    But now you’ve spent ages in there or want to buy it, it’s suddenly an expensive gem.

F*ck you mr record store owner, f*ck you.

Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    Yes!!!
    It’s so f*cking frustrating!
    Many other day that record is in the £2 bin & he does t know/give a shit what it is.
    But now you’ve spent ages in there or want to buy it, it’s suddenly an expensive gem.

F*ck you mr record store owner, f*ck you.
    yep.
    I can see this happening to me soon.
    I've recently learnt of a few early 2000ish joints that are good/hella rare/obscure and I know of a place that has stacks of joints from that period and its almost all chuff that he will never even be able to give away, yet the moment I pull one out (if Im lucky enough to find one) , he will check it on Discogs and it will be "ohh, you know this one goes for (insert inflated amount).
    Last edited by francois parker; 13-07-18 at 02:43 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    From what I've observed when prices go up like that they rarely go down later on, if somebody grabs the now available VG copy for £70 that would prove a new value being established (and probably hype created).
    Only 45 discogs members "want" this record.....it would need to be in the 200s+ for any "hype" / price inflation to occur.

The purchase on Christmas day just seems like a one off; perhaps someone wanted to "treat themselves" to something they really wanted, or alternatively, they'd had one too many sherry's (or wasn't wearing their glasses) when they ordered it!

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    Only 45 discogs members "want" this record.....it would need to be in the 200s+ for any "hype" / price inflation to occur.
    You know what, for some time now I've been thinking about erasing my wantlist and create private lists instead which I'll check regularly. This way I can hide my interest and if enough people do the same we can skew the demand numbers to our advantage. Wantlist emails are pretty much useless anyway thanks to those clowns relisting their inventory every other day.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by theblend View Post
    Specks story made me feel anxious !!!
    Sorry man, I guess I tend to see the glass half-empty. To make up for it I should mention that typically once a year I score a relatively rare piece for a relatively low price at some record store. This year it was "Kaleidoscope Phonetics" for £15. Not bad.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    Sorry man, I guess I tend to see the glass half-empty. To make up for it I should mention that typically once a year I score a relatively rare piece for a relatively low price at some record store. This year it was "Kaleidoscope Phonetics" for £15. Not bad.
    hehe no worries man! It was more the way you told the story, i was feeling the pain you went through! You told it well.

But it is worrying that Discogs has become a benchmark for some sellers pricing.. Your story - Putting all that work in to travel and dig only to have discogs prices interfere with the process at the last stage - is anxiety and rage inducing!