Welcome to the DWG Forums.

View Poll Results: Would you ever extract a song from another DJs mixtape for the purposes of mixing it?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 11.54%
  • No

23 88.46%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Question Question for the DJs: Is it Ok to take songs of another DJs mixtape for your mixtape

I'm gonna bust out a black and white question for the the DJs in here.

Would you ever extract a song from another DJs mixtape for the purposes of mixing it into your own mixtape or live set?

Yes or No, and if you feel the need, sound off as to why you voted that way.
    Members will see how you vote.

(EDIT: Sorry, can I get a mod to make votes public?, I can't edit that.)
    Last edited by rchecka; 26-02-12 at 06:11 PM.

DWG Warrior
    it would be a no from me, on the rare occasion that i do a new mix tape, i try not to use tracks i've heard on other mixes

plus i wouldn't have the equipment to be able to do it, don't have serato or anything similar

DWG Warrior
    I think you can do what you like, however, the difference is dj-ing creatively or simply being an aggregator of others creativity.

I'd say 15-20 years ago back when a lot of the NY cats like Clue etc. were building their entire reps off of getting all the big exclusives first, I'd say it was a definite 'no no' (particularly when they'd be yelling their name & "exclusive" all over the track).

But since the internet, it's a complete non-issue now - these guys don't really have the same clout they once did. Anyone can hit up a couple of blogs, grab the 30 latest hot tracks and shove them on their tape.

In other words - go for it!

DWG Warrior
    unless it's really hard on the mixing for me it's a no but that's one of my personal rules (that perhaps are pointless).. others I try to stick to are that I should own the records (even if I mix the mp3s) rather than ripped them off a blog, if there's barely any mixing it's a compilation not a mix, it's not on a tape so I don't call it a mixtape

as I say, perhaps pointless

DWG Warrior
    To clarify, there is no question as to whether or not it can be done. We all know that technology makes this easy.

It's an ethical question.

So the question is specifically "would you ever do it on one of your mixes?"

or Should you do it?
    Last edited by rchecka; 26-02-12 at 07:02 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Corridor View Post
    t I should own the records (even if I mix the mp3s)
    I'm with this, a local "indie" DJ who started to play soul/funk/disco asked me to do him some compilations which I refused as he wanted them to DJ with, I told him to go out and buy the records, his reply was "it's all about the music" as though I was being some sort of miser, I pointed out to him that it was the equivalent of me asking for rips of all his shitty indie records so I could start a student night, cheeky fucker.
    That said however, if there is no vinyl release then it's open season

DWG Warrior
    No. It's called biting. If you don't own it, don't play it.
    -- The Iller Regime --

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_Mao View Post
    his reply was "it's all about the music"
    bet he calls people "haters" too!

DWG Warrior
    If you don't own the wax, and you are using "files" then it's not really your "mix"......