Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DWG Contributor
    Anyone heard of two records called "Ice Roxanne" and "Roxanne's a Virgin?" And if so, have any info on it (i.e. who they're by, what label they're on)?
    I read about 'em in an article on the Roxanne saga... they just list them as examples of the many sillier entries in the "Roxanne, Roxanne" records saga. [url=http://geb.uni-giessen.de/geb/volltexte/2008/5244/pdf/Popularmusik-18_S36-46.pdf">Here's the article, albeit not in English[/url]. (I have the same article in print in English, but it offers no more info. This German one is the only version I could find online.)

Any info on these would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and if anyone is willing to part with a copy, I'm interested in purchasing both. eace:
    (Heck, while I'm at it, I'm also interested in a copy of The E.42nd ST. Crew's "Roxanne's Revenge.")

DWG Warrior
    Drew Huge is the chap to speak to about Roxanne cuts.

DWG Warrior
    I love a lot of those old Roxanne recors but the best ones are the early well known ones. I pity anyone on a mission to listen to every Roxanne battle record, COS THERE'S SOME REAL BAD ONES (dw & the party creW? RICARDO & CHOCOLATE BOOGIE? ZELEE & OSE?).

Remember that pop song from LA - Mr DJ by THE CONCEPT that ran down a whole load of fictional titles like ROXANNE MEETS GODZILLA, ROXANNE MEETS ARSENIO HALL? etc.

TOP 5 ROXANNE BATTLE SONGS

UTFO - ROXANNE ROXANNE
    REAL ROXANNE - THE REAL ROXANNE
    ROXANNE SHANTE - ROXANNE'S REVENGE
    SPARKY D - SPARKY'S TURN / ROXXANNE YOU'RE THROUGH
    GIGOLO TONY & LACE LACE - PARENTS OF.... (cos that's the funniest!)

DWG Contributor
    They're two I've never heard of, Werner. I've read a few online articles about the Roxanne stuff, but occasionally people will cite incorrect records or mangle them a little. That said, I'm looking out for these now.
    I'm after the E.42nd St. Crew one too, as well as the Elease one you beat me to a couple of weeks ago.
    If anyone has those, or the G-Mann one (not on Discogs either - one went on eBay last night for $150, which was too rich for my blood), the Overnite Bandits or the Potato Chips ones, I'll pay cash. Have you got your hands on the latter three, Werner?

DWG Contributor
    Yeah, it occured to me that the writer just had ageneral understanding that "there are a lot of crazy Roxanne records out there" and lazily made up some names instead of researching it. Especially since it was written before you could Google stuff. But then it's just as likely that those are just some pretty obscure entries that not many people know about.

I've got those three (well, one isn't here yet, but it's in the mail... fingers crossed). There are copies of the Potato Chips 12" on gemm, but they ain't cheap.

Assuming my package arrives safely, I just need the The E.42nd ST. Crew, The Maggotron EP, and these mystery entries if they exist. Oh, and I'm also trying to decide if I feel like I need all the different pressings of Shante's "Roxanne's Revenge;" 'cause right now I just have the standard one.

DWG Warrior
    What about the LP cuts like UTFO's "Roxanne's a crab part 2
    and BLowfly - Blowfly vs. Roxanne ? (can't remember the exact title)

And i was lucky enough to get the E.42nd ST. crew 12" early last year.

it's funny how all these artist are trying to sound like UTFO musically!!!

DWG Warrior
    CALLING HER A CRAB is OK, it's as derivative of ROXANNE ROXANNE as you'd expect. But it's not as witty. Shame, because UTFO had some of the funniest put-downs back then.

DWG Warrior
    Havent seen either of the two you mentioned in freddy's book, probably just hearsay from back in the day.

DWG Contributor
    Ambush:>Havent seen either of the two you mentioned in freddy's book, probably just hearsay from back in the day.
    There are a lot of gaps in Freddy's book, however.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    I've got a list of about 30-40 releases (IIRC) which were released on Vinyl I'll post it up when i'm on my other machine.