Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cro:>Lord Finesse seems pretty bitter about the whole thing, I wonder if he listened to it before he said yeah it's cool.
    What happened was that Skint contacted Finesse and said, 'Yeah, we're going to sample your voice for a small element in this song'.
    Finesse was like, 'That's cool - but it's not on one of my own records... you'll have to clear it with the Vinyl Dogs, whose album it was featured'.

Three months later he's in Switzerland or somewhere on tour and he hears it on the radio - and freaks out. Not only was he slightly pissed that they made his vocal the whole focus of the song, but they never got ANY clearance from the Vinyl Dogs, whose record it was on.
    Skint then told him that he'd signed over the full rights to the track when he'd given them verbal permission for the vocal sample. Finesse told them he'd already said that he didn't own the rights to that track: it was on another group's album, not one of his own.

Finesse just thought that took the piss.

DWG Warrior
    Excuse my ignorance, what finesse vocals are sampled on what track ?

DWG Warrior
    'Right about now, the funk soul brother, check it out now' on Funk Soul Brother. It does sound shady, he should put a gypsy's curse on the Withdean. If he wants to sort it out, he and Vinyl Dogs should go to court with the matter.

DWG Warrior
    doc savage:>'Right about now, the funk soul brother, check it out now'
    Mmm - I haven't heard that Fatboy Slim record for about 5 years, what Finesse track is that from, I don't think I've ever heard it ......

But anyway, if that vocal sample is off a Finesse tune he should get paid.....

Tha_Disc_Eater:>Excuse my ignorance, what finesse vocals are sampled on what track ?
    It's the intro on the Vinyl Dogs 'Tracks Of The Vinyl Dogs' instrumental album from '97. The track is called 'Vinyl Dogs Vibe'... nice little track with Finesse just speaking and introducing the album.
    Then Fatboy Slim/Norman Cook used it on 'Rockefellar Skank' or whatever it was called - and it went to number one in loads of countries, making him and his label (ironically named Skint) very rich.
    Finesse was saying that he wasn't overly concerned about himself - the Vinyl Dogs were just some struggling artists who wanted to make music and that they should've made some money off that.

doc savage:>If he wants to sort it out, he and Vinyl Dogs should go to court with the matter.
    When we interviewed Finesse (2001?), he was about to take them to court... I'm not sure what happened in the end, but I think there might have been a settlement at some point.

DWG Warrior
    Ahh cheers, never heard this Vinyl Dogs record - and despite the fact that I must have been "forced" to hear that Rockafella Skank record in countless Pub/clubs at the time it came out I never once realised that it was Finesse's vocals on there ! Probably the most interesting thing I'll learn to day..... :bigsmile:

DWG Warrior
    Lord Finesse should send Fat Joe, Freddie Foxx and Big Shug to Brighton to beat up on that fool...

Still dont see how this thread made it on here. CJ Mackintosh and Norman Cook only ever ruined good records. They just made good hip hop records sound wack/pop. The way they changed the good beat in to a shit one is an artform, you have to be really shit to do that.
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    They wouldn't be able to keep Fat Joe out of Grub's long enough to scare anyone (other than the burger man).

DWG Warrior
    the norman cook remix of i left my walet in el sungundo(if thats how you spell it)
    was good

DWG Warrior
    is it Norman though or the label that have been sheisty? I'd have thought label be interesting to know if Norman asked the label to get in contact with Finesse or if the label thought they should, also did finesse give the label a way of contacting the vinyl dogs?