Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Bizarre Tribe: A Quest to The Pharcyde

Quote Originally Posted by gummy soul
    As we approach the one year anniversary of 2011′s award winning Fela Soul release, we’re pleased to give you a sampling from Amerigo Gazaway’s upcoming mashup project, “Bizarre Tribe: A Quest to The Pharcyde”. Utilizing dozens of original Jazz, Soul and Funk recordings sampled throughout A Tribe Called Quest’s extensive catalogue, Gazaway recreates classic productions – pairing his reinterpreted instrumentals with select vocals from West Coast “golden era” favorites, The Pharcyde.

http://www.gummysoul.com

I gotta say. I'm definitely curious about this.
    Not at all familiar with this label's previous work
    It could be good, or it could be a trainwreck.
    But the concept is on point.

DWG Warrior
    Fuck this mess. I hate this retrograde mashup bullshit there is so much good rap music from all over at the moment and still they recycle the 'True School'. Do these people realise how corny they are?

Total Bollocks. Next.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    I don't know where I stand on this.... There are a couple of tracks that stand out on that video for curiousity value, but I'm not sure what the point of it is.
    The Runnin mashup from this project that is doing the rounds is pretty bad though. Acapella is out of time / hasn't been finetuned to match the beat, and it's too low in the mix.
    Still, I'll cop it to see what it's like.

DWG Warrior
    hahaha oof I posted that while pissed out my gourd, I'm not that mad at it.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    hahaha

DWG Warrior
    For those that have listened to the whole thing (assuming there is a "whole thing") is there anything about this project that makes it "stand out" as being over and above any other "mash-up" type of thing?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    ^I would hope that is true, cuz it's hardly worth being that mad at. It's either gonna suck or sound good, there's not much of an in between on a project like this. It's not like this is some untouchable sacred grail shit either. Novelty blends like this have been done many times before. Nothing particularly special about it other than their choice of artists. Really it's just another typical phase of Hip Hop recycling. Hopefully it's done with a good ear, but that's yet to be seen.

Fuck this mess. I hate this retrograde mashup bullshit there is so much good rap music from all over at the moment and still they recycle the 'True School'. Do these people realise how corny they are?

Total Bollocks. Next.
    Pished or not, I completely agree with these words. Who gives a fuck about this sort of thing in mid-2012?

DWG Warrior
    Blends are played out in general, I'd agree with that, and I'd add blends are where every amateur producer starts his craft. But once in a while, when the blend actually sounds natural, it's a good thing. You can't deny a good mash when it works. I can't comment on this one at all, other than the youtube clip sounded promising. Personally, I like the concept, and with the exception of the 'bob-snob brigade', it's probably worth a listen before slamming it outright whilst sober.

DWG Warrior

Love this^ did ou buy or bid as well?-