Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Nice work Diseone...that's must have taken a while to compile.

Some interesting choices in there, I think MOST of them deserve to be in there.

Disapointed not to see more UK artists in the list.

DWG Warrior
    A great list overall. Mostly expected choices as far as I'm concerned, although I'd tipped 'Illmatic' to be the runaway success. Not that I don't think Ultra was the deserving choice - in fact, glad to see the Nas album prove me wrong.

Well done to all involved. A massive task executed extremely well.

DWG Warrior
    Great job Dise.
    I'm shocked that OK - Equinox didn't make it in, truly slept on.
    "I have no idea what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time" - Dexter Morgan.

DWG Warrior
    Nice list -great work. Thanks.

I was sure that Illmatic woud have won though.

I had Reasonable Doubt in my top 20. Commons 2nd album and Ready to Die way higher.

DWG Warrior
    + Take a look around was not in my top 50.

DWG Warrior
    I'm happy about this list!

All in all so much better than most other similar lists I have seen. I normally own maybe 50 in a top 100 but out of these I counted 85 or 86 that I own. And generally my preferred album by each artist was the highest ranking one - Step In The Arena, Strictly Business, Low End Theory, Criminal Minded, It Takes A Nation - all of these were instances where I thought another LP than my favorite by each act would come out higher. Really nice. (There's been so much talk on these boards and elsewhere about By All Means, Midnight Marauders, Hard To Earn, Bumrush, the later EPMD LPs I thought they would trump my favorites, nice to see they didn't!)

The biggest positive surprises for me were Stezo, Just-Ice and Chill Rob G. Love these albums but they are often overlooked.

My personal grievances are few. I was shocked to see not a single MC Lyte album in the top 100. There's a general lack of female artists here. I think: Zero(?) counting quickly. I saw Latifah, Bahamadia, Heather B, Shanté and a couple of Lyte albums in the longer list, but a few of them belong here. I mean I like LOTUG for example, but MC Lyte has 3 or maybe 4 albums I'd rate over them. Also 13 is way too low for Mecca And The Soul Brother, would have thought that was in everyone's top 10 (it's my number 1). And Reel To Reel by Grand Puba should be in any top 50 IMHO

Regarding Critical Beatdown, it's a great album, but as others have said (on the DWG Facebook page I think) it's a compromised one. As much as I love Ultra in the 80s, I need the 12"s to get that complete classic feeling, the album as such is nice, but not in my top 10.

But the only albums I can safely say would never be near my top 100 are OutKast, Snoop Doggy Dogg and Cypress Hill (and they actually only charted once each!). So again, much better than many a similar list!
    Last edited by Soul Survivor; 29-04-13 at 07:50 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Oh, and thanks for compiling all this data, must have been quite a task.

DWG Warrior
    Props Diseone for taking the timeout to do this.... well done

Nice comprehensive list there.

Great to see Ultra's top (although I think I had Breaking Atoms 1st then Ultra's 2nd but that depends on my daily mood).

Missing about 18 of these LP's but being post 1993 I'm guessing none would do much for me.

Sterling effort Dise.

Great to see Ultramagnetics at no. 1 - I had 'Critical Beatdown', 'Paid In Full' (yeah, I know 'Chinese Arithmetic' is shit, but whatever) and 'Illmatic' as my number 1, 2, and 3 picks. I think 'Critical Beatdown' still sounds incredible today. Always loved it, but over the past four or five years, I've found myself playing it more and more frequently.

Shocked that 'Straight Outta Compton' isn't in the top 10 or even top 20.... I had it as my no. 5.

Also great to see 'The War Report' and Real Live in there too. As others have said, surprising to see 'The Iceberg' in there. It's a good album - coincidentally I was playing it on the train yesterday - but 'Power' is a far, far better album.

And Lords of The Underground? I reckon I could think of 500 rap albums I'd sooner rather listen to than anything by them.

But all in all, great work Dise - really enjoyed this whole thread and the process of writing, re-writing and re-writing again my list.