Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kase View Post
    ^^^ this is why I'd have liked old school to get it's own section. I know the 79-84 category will be overrun with more drum machine based stuff from 83/84. Not enough old school heads on here to rep the early rap records properly.
    I think the problem is that 79-84 basically overlaps two era's; Old Skool and Electro.

I've submitted my 79-84 list

Not naming any tracks, but by year I've got;

1979 - 1
    1980 - 9
    1981 - 6
    1982 - 6
    1983 - 9
    1984 - 19
    Last edited by Tha_Disc_Eater; 03-05-13 at 09:31 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    I think the problem is that 79-84 was basically two era's Old Skool and Electro.

Not naming any tracks, but by year I've got;
    agreed, I've got

79 - 6
    80 - 22
    81 - 12
    82 - 4
    83 - 5
    84 - 1
    ...they talk about me over cups of tea, I'm Mercury over cups of tea, I'm Mercury over cups of tea...

DWG Warrior
    i was going to ask about this very point. should this be rap and electro combined?

some of the tracks from that early period have next to no raps or none at all, so wasn't sure if they were to be included

i think i could do a list for each

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    I agree it's two era's hence why I asked before hand what everyone thought about the dates, but only Kase brought it up, so I didn't hear a strong enough case to separate them, now you want them separated? If so please give me a credible way to work the 80's so that it's not too many lists to do for people.

DWG Warrior
    My preference would be....79-82, 83-86, 87-91...that makes it very difficult to choose only 50 for 87-91 I know but it captures old school, mid school & golden era...that sacrifices 1983 though, a year with some quality releases that I consider old school
    ...they talk about me over cups of tea, I'm Mercury over cups of tea, I'm Mercury over cups of tea...

DWG Warrior
    I always saw the era's like this;

1979-82 - Old Skool
    1983-86 - Mid School / Electro
    1987-90 - Golden Age
    1991-94 - *dunno what to call it - Jazzy Breaks era?
    1995-98 - Indie Rap Era

I really don't mind how it's split though, there's enough different views on here to get an interesting list in the year bands set.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    My take is much the same as TDE's, 1983 was the transitional year between Disco Rap and the start of Electro, and then I feel the next transitional year was 1986, where Electro rap started to die out and when Hip Hop really came into it's own, then 1989 the sample heavy era started up until around 92 when Boom Bap started.

I didn't really want people to be overwhelmed with having to do three seperate lists for each decade hence why, old school and the start of the electro period were put together.

DWG Warrior
    Staying as is so? or is 84 getting moved to the second bracket?

DWG Warrior
    I think we need to hear from more people than just three people, and if we were to move that year then we would need to move the next bracket aswell, as that bracket is already full to the brim of records eligible for the list, as we're now moving into the era of when hip hip 12"s started to bloom, as opposed to the disco era when a lot fewer 12"s were released as Hip Hip at that time was considered more a live spectacle than capsulated on vinyl.

DWG Warrior
    i'm not suggesting changing anything dise, just wanted clarification if we should be considering rap & electro records for our lists?