Welcome to the DWG Forums.
    DWG Warrior

The predictability of live rap shows

Inspired by a few comments in the live/gigs thread.

I really dont understand why artists dont switch up their set lists a bit more. I get why someone like Jay Z has to do 'the hits' as he attracts that kind of audience now but if you're going to see Big Daddy Kane, De La or Wu Tang chances are the crowd is as familiar with their album tracks and b-sides as they are the big singles. Would be refreshing for everyone if they performed a few lesser known tracks from time to time (even if it means they have to make the effort to learn the words again!)

I've seen Kane twice now, about 7 years apart and the show was pretty much identical. Still enjoyable but as good as he is I wouldnt see him a 3rd time. Same with Wu Tang - huge catalogue to choose from and its always the same tracks. I swear Rae & Ghost rarely do anything from Cuban Linx 2 or Fishscale (for example) and just stick to the tried and tested classics.

Are there any rappers out there that pull a few suprises out of the bag when they perform?

(there's also the issue of warm up DJs always playing the same 15 songs which I think we've covered before)

DWG Warrior
    Saw Ghost for the first time last year and he missed out loads classics and under appreciated tunes, sure there was nothing off Apollo Kids either, was definitely left thinking abit more planning could have made it an incredible show rather than just an alright one.

J-Live coming out and juggling Braggin Writes while performing it is probably one of my only 'Oh Shit' live moments and Kool Keith when he performed with Kutmaster Kurt although it was underwear in the bag not really suprises! He started the show freestyling over funky and was alot better than expected

Atmosphere, saw them two times in under two years and the show was completely different both times, like not even similar.
    Saw them again a couple of years latter on two different occasions and again two completely different show.

I think they benefit from having (back then anyway) an obsessive fanboy/girl following and a vast back catalogue to chose from.
    I seen my fair share of hip hop shows involving probably quite a few thousand miles traveling to the shows over the years and Atmosphere have proved to be in a class of their own live. Like them or not their rep as a live band is up there.

I've seen Ugly Duckling many times over the last decade and a lot of the show is still the same as it was back when I first saw them.
    I honestly feel most live rap shows I seen over the years have been crap, luckily I'm easily pleased once I have a pint in my hand.

DWG Warrior
    I agree I saw atmosphere and they were really dope.

DWG Warrior
    I couldn't believe it, I went to a gig where they split the crowd in half and then got them to see who could make the most noise AND do some call and response, it was un-fucking-believable. True story

DWG Warrior
    I have been to see the Roots maybe 5 or 6 times and have never seen them do the same set twice. Of course there were crossover tracks and some shows were great whilst others didn't quite hit the mark but they do at least consistently change up their live sets - add an element of jamming, flow effortlessly between tracks - def a class act on the live scene.

But yes, the industry standard is that you get the same show over and over - even if they are years apart - De la are def guilty of this, as are just about every other non-current/classic era artist I have seen twice or more. But then again, perhaps DWG forum members are not the typical patrons of these gigs? I guess if you have 300 people at a de la gig, perhaps 250 of them will only really know Ring Ring, Me Myself and i, Magic Number and one or two others. I went to see Premo at the concorde2 a month or two back and him and the warm up dj played a pretty standard set list of classics and looking around there was only one or two people that seemed to know the words to any of the tunes. At one particular point he dropped the opening lines to Goodie Mob's Cell therapy "Who's that kicking in my window?" and then cut out for the "blaow, nobody now!" response from the crowd, only to hear about three people shout back from a maybe 200 deep crowd - much to his surprise and disgust!
    Postie
    Spines On The Shelves
    http://ukhiphopcratedigger.blogspot.com/