Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DWG Warrior
    LDD - definitely with you on I Wish My Brother George... To be honest, I think it's a way better album than anything he did subsequently and anyone who claimed it wasn't 'proper' hip-hop was foolish. I'm sure a lot of this dynamic is first album = optimism, second album = disillusion. (Add KMD to the list).

DWG Warrior
    ah yeah KMD another good example.
    but I think you've prob hit the nail on the head there
    first album = optimism, second album = disillusion
    which is kind of a shame

DWG Warrior
    I would argue people make better art when they are a bit fucked up.

In the case of De La Is Dead and Black Bastards I think they are far superior records to their debuts.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    ^^^^
    i agree with de la, but mr.hood is unfuckwitable for me, i love bb too, but far superior - nah sun

I usually see it 2 ways :

1) Rappers enter the scene being young, playful & naive, a few albums later they have their eyes open and
    lose the naive side of them and sometimes that gives off the illusion that they're harder when they are
    just more "grown up" after paying their dues (which in a way IS "harder" depending on what your definition
    of "hard" is)

2) Other rappers come in hard from the get go (although this can be seen more as a "hungry hard", get rich
    and then get comfy / not hungry anymore.. then either get lazy, side-tracked or dumb themselves down so
    much that their lack of effort makes it sound like they're not hard anymore.

I guess it depends on who the rapper is as far as what cateogy they fit in.

DWG Warrior
    Melachi The Nutcracker came out the hardest at 16 or thereabouts.

DWG Warrior
    i'd add guru to this list, definitely seemed to get more street as he went on

From this -

To this -

I remember being in Oakland when this dropped (92/93) & it was all over The Box music channel, although heads were diggin the track they were also like WTF happened? ...sign of the (changing) times in my book.