Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Football thread

DWG Warrior

Football thread

The summer 2013 transfer window is as good as I can remember & the Guardian are providing some excellent coverage:

On Bale:

Quite why Levy is making such a fuss is unclear – as demonstrated by Manchester United, when selling Cristiano Ronaldo, it's fine to lose your best player by far – all you need to do is retain the majority of the money for your own ends, spend the shrapnel on Antonio Valencia, Gabriel Obertan and Mame Diouf, and everything will be just fine. The Fiver understands that L'il Mickey Owen is also available on a free transfer.
    *Apologies - there are a number of football threads, but most are pretty old and refer to previous seasons..

DWG Warrior
    Suarez to Anzhi Makhachkala......couple of years in Dagestan might sort the ungrateful cunt out
    ...they talk about me over cups of tea, I'm Mercury over cups of tea, I'm Mercury over cups of tea...

DWG Contributor
    Bit unfair on valencia to lump him in with Obertan and Diouf - he had a bad year last year, but was the don before that.
    And all teams buy donkeys, or occassionally good players into donkey - we did it with Veron, Madrid did it with Kaka.

This transfer window is still a big non-event waiting to get started.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewhuge View Post
    This transfer window is still a big non-event waiting to get started.
    Only for Arsenal and United.

Falcao, Neymar, Higuaín, Cavani, Llorente, Gotze, Thiago Alcantara, Rodriguez, Moutinho, Marquinhos, Asier Illarramendi, Isco, Gomez, Tevez, Strootman, Mkhitaryan to name but a few have gone for huge money on the continent.

The noisy neighbours & Chelsea are spending large. Spurs have spent large (assuming that the Soldado transfer goes through) and even Cardiff & Southampton are splashing out.

If Bale goes, all hell will break loose though and could kick start a lot of activity..

DWG Warrior
    Wonder if Cavani did his homework before joining PSG? The higher tax band in France is now a whooping 75%!! Meanwhile, same league, tucked away in the South of France, Falcao is paying 1% tax in Monaco......just an observation.

I'd be interested to hear Man U fans thoughts on Rooney.

Any Geordies care to vent spleen on Joe Kinnear?
    Last edited by Kase; 29-07-13 at 08:26 PM.
    ...they talk about me over cups of tea, I'm Mercury over cups of tea, I'm Mercury over cups of tea...

DWG Warrior
    Loving the press wank fest over Bale without 1 single quote anywhere at all from anyone related to Spurs. Selling papers never been easier, just begin any lie with 'A source close to the players dogs ex wife said' or even worse 'Sky Sports understands'

DWG Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kase View Post
    Wonder if Cavani did his homework before joining PSG? The higher tax band in France is now a whooping 75%!! Meanwhile, same league, tucked away in the South of France, Falcao is paying 1% tax in Monaco......just an observation.

I'd be interested to hear Man U fans thoughts on Rooney.

Any Geordies care to vent spleen on Joe Kinnear?

Regarding Rooney, I want him to go. On his day, still a very fine player, but by aggravating for a move twice he's lost a lot of love. Don't think Moyes is doing himself many favours with his 'he is not for sale' schtick, unless he's just trying to ensure a good price. I get the feeling if Utd can land a target or two - by no means certain - they'll let him go. But if they clear him out, plus a couple of others go, our squad is looking thin again.

DWG Warrior
    If I was a United fan I'd want Rooney to go. Not the player he is made out to be at all - hugely inconsistent..and now thinks he is bigger than the club.
    I hope City crash and burn again - especially in the CL.

DWG Warrior
    West Ham have obviously finalized the Carroll move, which I feel is a good spend, and David Gold has suggested he'd like to buy us a new marque player each season. I would have liked the Bony deal to go through, but he'll do well at Swansea.

DWG Warrior
    In regional football news I watched my team get pumped 7-0 by Malmo FF last Thursday to go out the Euro Cup with a 9-0 aggregate loss.

The worst ever Euro result from a Scottish team and a shameful blot on a history that sees Hibernian as the first British club to play in European competition. We have beaten Barcelona, Inter and Napoli in the past but glory days at Easter Road are long gone.

I will still be there week in week out watching utter dross.

Carry on.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.