58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

36 62.07%
  • Midnight Marauders

22 37.93%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    DWG Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by diseone View Post
    I've dug out Meths and GZA CD's can't bloody find my Rae CD at the mo, but on relisten I would now concede that Meth's CD hasn't held up aswell GZA's so currently GZA's my fave. Once I find my Rae's CD I'll re-evaluate again.

Sound quality wise wasn't an issue for me as I bought the solo LP's on CD.
    BAN!

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewhuge View Post
    BAN!
    Hehe, as I've always said many times before, any LP post 1990 I buy on CD over Vinyl (Vinyl when no CD is available), all mainly due to space consraints, and there being far too many decent 12"s vying for the same space, could be worse though I could go Digital.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewhuge View Post
    I think the thing with the Meth is that his solo album was the most anticipated at the time - he'd really shone on 36 Chambers, everyone dug the Method Man track, he seemed one of the more interesting characters. But when Tical dropped - and despite it having some really, reallly good stuff on there - Bring the Pain, Meth vs. Chef, All I Need, What the bloodclot - it doesn't live up to the hype. Plus the sound quality on the vinyl is (deliberately?) bad. it always felt like a bunch of really good tracks, a few disappointing but not terrible ones, and not a cohesive album. Whereas I didn't expect ODB to be able to drop a dope album. As Dise said, each to his own, but 'Return...' is an established classic in a way Tical most certainly isn't. Weird, really, because it's even more messy.
    By way of contrast, the Raekwon is really cohesive and I think took people by surprise.
    Yep...also the 1st solo LP and RZA lost all the original beats in a flood or something os that could be partly responsible for the sound (I bought it on cassette). Anticipation was massive for the LP and as you said the strong tracks are great. Return is messy and raw but in a great way, Tical seems unfinished / rushed

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diseone View Post
    could be worse though I could go Digital.
    you know CD's are digital right?!

DWG Warrior
    i played tribe more than wu then and still i play tribe more than wu today. that said i have grown to like wu much more than i did at the time the lp dropped.
    beats like ice cream, rhymes are like sprinkles...

DWG Warrior
    The Wu-Tang for me.

DWG Warrior
    WU TANG CLAN

DWG Warrior
    I voted Wu-Tang. Midnight Marauders is a nice album full of dope tracks, but too monotonous and not varied enough for me to call it a classic in the same way as Enter The Wu. 20 years later and I still couldn't tell you which beat was which on MM. Easy pick for me.

A real tough decision for me would have been Enter The Wu Vs. The Low End Theory, which was the Tribe masterpiece IMHO.

DWG Warrior
    I'm such a huge Tribe fan and loyalist that at the time, Midnight Marauders was more of what I wanted to hear. It got more burn from me than Wu-Tang did. But ultimately, Enter the 36th Chambers is so much more of an important album. The Wu-Tang came in and innovated in a way that few have been able to since. These both dropped 1 day before my 13th Birthday..