Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

36 62.07%
  • Midnight Marauders

22 37.93%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    I'm not the biggest fan of most of ATCQ's catalogue however MM is an amazing album. But was it as ground breaking, as impactful or memorable as Enter The 36? The answer to that is hell no!!

DWG Warrior
    Thanks for participating, I just finished my MM post at my blog.

http://coldrockdaspot.blogspot.co.nz...led-quest.html

I'll be the black sheep of the polls and say that i didn't catch onto the Wu or really care for it until Meth's solo LP came out. I'd be lying if i said anything different than that.

And to be fair, when Midnight came out, i didn't know what to make of it either. I guess i was expecting it to be another low end theory and when it wasn't, it had to grow on me just like the Wu album. It was a weird time in hip hop for me as i was raised on Mr. Magic & Red Alert 80's stuff so it took me a second to really get used to what was going on after the whole Hammer / Vanilla Ice era was over and the smoke was clearing to make way for real hip hop to come back into the forefront.. it was something i totally didn't expect to happen.

In 2013, i can't even really pick one over the other.. but Tribe had a longer term impact on me just on a production level so i have to give it to Tribe. No love lost for Wu though as they each dropped solo albums that solidified the greatness of the first album.

Yeah, i know i know... Ban me now. :P lol

DWG Contributor
    Good points Jorun - although how Meth's so-so Lp turned you round I'm not sure! I'm definitely in the tribe camp. The Wu was a game changer, an awesome LP that changed much of hip-hop, so undeniably more influential than the tribe. As far as Tribe, you could see it as just another in a line of 3 classics, more of the same goodness with a slightly different approach. However, I play it way more than the Wu - which was outshone by Raekwon's solo debut, (which is a better LP) and I don't feel it's aged in the way elements of the Wu album have. track for track, MM is better. In terms of cultural impact, Wu.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewhuge View Post
    Good points Jorun - although how Meth's so-so Lp turned you round I'm not sure! I'm definitely in the tribe camp. The Wu was a game changer, an awesome LP that changed much of hip-hop, so undeniably more influential than the tribe. As far as Tribe, you could see it as just another in a line of 3 classics, more of the same goodness with a slightly different approach. However, I play it way more than the Wu - which was outshone by Raekwon's solo debut, (which is a better LP) and I don't feel it's aged in the way elements of the Wu album have. track for track, MM is better. In terms of cultural impact, Wu.
    I'm with you on the Meth album, listening to that on a listening station at a record store was such a let down for me at the time. I didn't buy it for another 10+ years when it came to me in a collection. I had envisions of the Wu totally falling off but we were lucky enough to be delivered some classic solo LPs from other members.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewhuge View Post
    Good points Jorun - although how Meth's so-so Lp thened you round I'm not sure! I'm definitely in the tribe camp. The Wu was a game changer, an awesome LP that changed much of hip-hop, so undeniably more influential than the tribe. As far as Tribe, you could see it as just another in a line of 3 classics, more of the same goodness with a slightly different approach. However, I play it way more than the Wu - which was outshone by Raekwon's solo debut, (which is a better LP) and I don't feel it's aged in the way elements of the Wu album have. track for track, MM is better. In terms of cultural impact, Wu.
    I'd probably have to go the other way here, Meth's LP is probably the LP that I played the most, I did get Rae's & GZA's LP's but neither got played a great deal in comparison, although I haven't played it in a long, so I may have to revisit it.

One thing for sure was for me was ODB was awful, and I never understood the popularity surrounding him?

DWG Warrior
    MM for me.
    Even though i was a huge Wu fan in the beginning i listened to MM a lot more than 36 chambers over the years.

I also think that ODB´s first is the best amongst the first Wu solos.
    I was crazy for Meth´s solo when it came out but now i think that it wasn´t all that great. The same goes for Cuban Linx.
    GZA ranks second IMO.

DWG Warrior
    Have to agree with you Drew. It's Tribe all the way for me. Wu's album was good but at the time I was only really feeling the singles. "Wu-Tang forever" still gets far more play for me than "36 chambers" but the only Wu album that gained my complete attention was Raekwon's "OB4CL".

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diseone View Post
    I'd probably have to go the other way here, Meth's LP is probably the LP that I played the most, I did get Rae's & GZA's LP's but neither got played a great deal in comparison, although I haven't played it in a long, so I may have to revisit it.

One thing for sure was for me was ODB was awful, and I never understood the popularity surrounding him?
    You really have unique taste Dise, your comments constantly go against the grain! Which is fine of course but you really do surprise me time and time again! OB4CL and Liquid Swords in my books are bonafide classics and totally restored my faith in the Wu but that faith disappeared not too long after those were released.