Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

record/postage problem. Advice please.

I sold a record to a chap in France via Discogs, he paid using Paypal.
    I sent it to France using Royal Mail (Tracked and Signed For).
    After a couple of weeks the buyer contacts me asking if I have sent the record yet, I had sent it, so I used the tracking to see where the record was, it had been in France for a couple of weeks, I told the buyer this infomation.
    Days pass and the buyer asks where his record is again and I check the tracking and see its on its way back to me!

The record is now with me and has a sticker saying that La Poste made their best effort to deliver it and the parcel has a sticker on it saying "unclaimed recorded delivery".

Any idea what I can do about this chaps?
    If I send it again who will pay the postage, Im guessing the increasingly angry Frenchman wont want to pay it, and I dont want to pay it as I dont know what went on his side, maybe he didnt bother to go and get it in time and it got send back, which would be his fault.

Any advice please?

On top of that the Mailer looks rather beat up now, I hope the record is OK inside it not opened it yet.
    Last edited by francois parker; 14-10-21 at 06:29 AM.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    I had this same issue, quite recently also to France I believe, as the parcel is saying it is unclaimed, and the address is correct, I believe it's a case of the buyer not collecting the item, so what's to say this won't happen again?
    I think on my case the buyer paid the postage again as he wanted the items he purchased, and once you have posted an item and it defiantly has the correct address on it, it's out of your hands and down to the postal company and in this case the buyer to do what they need, which doesn't seem to have happened, but you did all you could.

I would also supply the tracking details to the buyer so that they can track the item themselves.

I have sent the tracking info and photo of all the documentation to the buyer, he sounds angry, he wants a full refund from me or for me to send the item again! He said there is no reason the record never arrived! Im not sure how to handle this.

DWG Warrior
    Give him the money back in full and charge it to the game. Not worth the hassle of something going wrong again.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    Give him the money back in full and charge it to the game. Not worth the hassle of something going wrong again.
    I agree and I am going to shift the situation in this direction, my ony concern is the angry dude leaves bad feedback after giving him his cash back.

I asked Discogs for guidance on the situation and they say according to thier terms and conditions as long as the Seller sent the item to the correct address and the tax/import info was correct (which it was in my case) then the probalem becomes the Buyer once it has been posted. According to Discogs in my case its up to the Buyer to so pay for the item to be sent to him, they do though say its best if both parties can reach some kind of agreement.

That said Im stil planning to give him his cash back if he will go away and not leave bad feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by francois parker View Post
    I agree and I am going to shift the situation in this direction, my ony concern is the angry dude leaves bad feedback after giving him his cash back.

I asked Discogs for guidance on the situation and they say according to thier terms and conditions as long as the Seller sent the item to the correct address and the tax/import info was correct (which it was in my case) then the probalem becomes the Buyer once it has been posted. According to Discogs in my case its up to the Buyer to so pay for the item to be sent to him, they do though say its best if both parties can reach some kind of agreement.

That said Im stil planning to give him his cash back if he will go away and not leave bad feedback.
    Unfortunately I don't think it really matters what Discogs policy is, if he raises a dispute with Paypal they'll almost certainly side with him, I had a pretty much identical situation with a buyer in the US and lost Ģ175 AND never even got the record back!

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois parker View Post

If he leaves negative feedback after you have refunded him and as you have contacted Discogs about the situation, you can ask for the feedback to be removed, and they will more than likely remove quite quickly so don't worry about the repercussions.

DWG Warrior
    Also don’t worry too much about negative feedback it’s pretty likely eventually you’ll run into someone on there who will leave it with no thought of if they are being fair or not.

DWG Warrior
    The french postal service is bad at telling you the parcel is available at your local post office sometimes.
    The same happened to me in ~2018 with records I bought at Johnnyroast's Discogs (using Royal Mail too I guess).
    Two month later he told me he got the parcel back with probably the same reason "unclaimed recorded delivery".
    La Poste never told me the parcel was available at my local post office...
    I recently bought records in the US and didn't have this problem, the parcel was tracked right this time between USPS and La Poste.

DWG Warrior
    @FP I sent a package to a friend in Paris last december. The tracking status froze 10 days after the shipping and it was returned to me in April with a label that said they were unable to deliver. Now i know that the address of my friend was correct. Really sounds like French Postel service isnīt doing their job propperly. So i donīt think that in your case the seller didnīt collect the item. Who does that if you pay for somethimg you want?
    I think you should do what Bobby says. Refund him in full and get on.
    Although iīm still at 100% at Discogs iīm not bothering about my feedback anymore. You can get a bad one out of nowhere cause thereīs too many weird people out there haha