Welcome to the DWG Forums.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite hip hop LP released before 1987?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wild Style OST

10 30.30%
  • Stetsasonic: On Fire

12 36.36%
  • Schoolly D: Schoolly D

10 30.30%
  • L.L. Cool J: Radio

13 39.39%
  • Run-D.M.C.: Run-D.M.C.

4 12.12%
  • Run-D.M.C.: King Of Rock

0 0%
  • Just-Ice: Back To The Old School

4 12.12%
  • Mantronix: The Album

7 21.21%
  • Doug E. Fresh And The Get Fresh Crew: Oh My God!

3 9.09%
  • Salt N Pepa: Hot, Cool & Vicious

2 6.06%
  • Beastie Boys: Licensed To Ill

9 27.27%
  • Whodini: Escape

3 9.09%
  • Whodini: Whodini

1 3.03%
  • Kurtis Blow: Kurtis Blow

0 0%
  • Run-D.M.C.: Raising Hell

10 30.30%
  • Fat Boys: Fat Boys

4 12.12%
  • Crash Crew: Crash Crew

1 3.03%
  • Treacherous Three: Treacherous Three

2 6.06%
  • Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five: The Message

4 12.12%
  • Kurtis Blow: Tough

1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Favorite LP Pre-1987?

From 1987 and onwards there are just so many to choose from. But from 1979-1986 I figure the amount of actual quality full length LPs is small enough for a poll like this. Apologies for the ones I forgot.

I made it multiple choice for all of us who can't narrow it down, but please don't vote all 20
    Last edited by Soul Survivor; 25-02-15 at 09:10 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Impossible task. They're all stone classics except maybe Salt n pepa. But voted Stet just because.
    Btw, isn't Down by law '86?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Impossible task. They're all stone classics except maybe Salt n pepa. But voted Stet just because.
    Btw, isn't Down by law '86?
    Down By Law was 1987. You don't have to pick just one, I ended up voting for 7 of them in the end, and I do love the ones I didn't vote for too

DWG Warrior
    Missing the jazzy jef and fresh prince record...

I voted 5

Stetsasonic
    LL Cool J
    Run DMC - Raising Hell
    Doug E Fresh
    Just Ice

These records were very important in my youth...and I still great to listen to...

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo-yZ View Post
    Missing the jazzy jef and fresh prince record...
    I think their first LP was 1987, but I might be wrong.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Survivor View Post
    I think their first LP was 1987, but I might be wrong.
    You are correct...my bad...

DWG Warrior
    There are a few LP titles missing from list..another two Fat Boys records both have moments. Whistle LP..UTFO 2LP's..Kurtis Blow - Kingdom Blow..Newcleus - Jam on Revenge...Boogie Boys - City Life...Shango Lp...Dr.Jeckyl Mr Hyde - Champagne Of Rap..Steady B - Bring The Beat Back(!!!)....Mantronix - Musical Madness....Two Live Crew - Two Live Is What We Are...MC Chill s/t LP...Skinny Boys - Weightless....

Just some more that spring to mind. All before 87. I would add these to that poll most definitely the Steady B, Two Live Crew and Skinny Boys albums. Also, keep in mind I am talking about when they came out on import and some may have charted into early 87.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Palma View Post
    There are a few LP titles missing from list..another two Fat Boys records both have moments. Whistle LP..UTFO 2LP's..Kurtis Blow - Kingdom Blow..Newcleus - Jam on Revenge...Boogie Boys - City Life...Shango Lp...Dr.Jeckyl Mr Hyde - Champagne Of Rap..Steady B - Bring The Beat Back(!!!)....Mantronix - Musical Madness....Two Live Crew - Two Live Is What We Are...MC Chill s/t LP...Skinny Boys - Weightless....

Just some more that spring to mind. All before 87. I would add these to that poll most definitely the Steady B, Two Live Crew and Skinny Boys albums. Also, keep in mind I am talking about when they came out on import and some may have charted into early 87.
    Yeah, there's obviously gonna be stuff missing. There's a 20 option maximum, so I had to stop going somewhere. Including all those you mention would have meant deleting half of those I listed. Having said that all didn't occur to me for some reason. Love Steady B, Skinny Boys and Newcleus. Others you mention I deliberately didn't include. While I agree the other Fat Boys LPs have moments I thought anyone voting Fat Boys would go for the first (and in my mind supreme) album. In the end it's all subjective and limited to 20 so...

DWG Warrior
    Peace Soul Survivor

Good poll just like the South Bronx vs. The Bridge.
    I didnt realize the max limit imposed and i probably wouldnt omit any from your list I would be hard pressed to. All top choices for obvious reasons.

Yes agree with you about Fat Boys debut, it didnt and couldnt get any better than. The Two Live Crew album is great, go back to it. Always loved the title track and in my opinion in terms of hardcore beats in a B Boy style is the best of their discography (subjective).

I probably wouldnt have included Too Short either simply because i never heard it or bought it in 85 and im not particularly into Too Short having said that thanks Russ I will at least give it a fresh listen. I suspect the beats will appeal to me and thats down to the production style of the day.

So if I have to choose one out of that list, it aint gonna happen! I'll choose a big 8..
    In no order cos it depends on the day and on the mood.

Stetsasonic On Fire
    Mantronix s/t
    Wild Style
    LL Cool J Radio
    Just Ice BTTOS
    Schoolly D
    Grandmaster Flash Message
    Treacherous Three s/t

Your list is a tuffy. I havent slept on any of them believe me. I rate all those records.

DWG Warrior
    Schooly D needs more votes !
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.