Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Quiet vinyl/pressings to avoid

De La Soul - Ego Trippin' (Part 2). I love this 12” and I have just minted up. However, both my copies seem very quiet and I was just wondering if there was a mastering issue with the record? are they all like this?

I know there are plenty of very quiet album pressings (Kid Capri’s ‘The Tape’ and De La's '3 Feet High' spring to mind) but what other examples of poorly mixed/mastered hip hop 12”s are there?
    Last edited by Dr NO; 24-03-15 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Added title of record as title of thread has changed.

DWG Warrior
    The b-sides nearly 20 minutes long which is why it's so quiet, as you say great 12" but too much on it, same with one of the Busta 12"s with It's a Party, 5 and 6 tracks per side!

DWG Warrior
    LA Jay remix of Ego Trippin is dope.
    I've got a repress which isn't too bad. Better than some Relativity and late 90s Def Jam 12"s

DWG Warrior
    Beatnuts Street Level is horrendous but the worst pressings in my collection are the Cold Chillin Story compilation and YZ's The Ghetto's Been Good To Me LP on Livin Large. I have Chinese bootlegs that sound better.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Funk Your Head Up was terrible.

DWG Warrior
    There's one of the Ultras compilations on Tuff City that's even worse than Funk Your Head Up. Pressed so badly that even Madame Fanny from 'Allo 'Allo couldn't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by RussRockWell View Post
    ^ You could rename this thread 'Quiet vinyl/pressings to avoid' or something like that, would be a very useful resource.
    Done!

And I'll add Akinyele's 'Vagina Diner' to the list. Great album, but damn it's quiet.

DWG Warrior
    kid capri "the tape" should be in the list unfortunately...such a shame, love that album

DWG Warrior
    ah sorry , didn't read it properly!

DWG Warrior
    co sign with 'Funk Your Head Up'. I think this maybe worse than Kid Capri's 'The Tape' if that is possible!! Another later Cold Chillin album with a terrible pressing is Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - 'Live & Let Die' Is the repress that came out a few years ago any better?