Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Washington DC / Chicago spots?

To celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary, me and wifey are off to Washington, Chicago and NYC.

NYC is taken care of, but I have next to nothing in the way of essential information (records, sneaks and food) for Chi-town and Washington.

I know about Dusty Groove and Reckless in Chicago, but that's about it.

Anyone shed any light?

DWG Warrior
    Dave's Records & Jazz Record Mart are both worth a look Frosty. Good bookshop next to JRM too.

DWG Warrior
    Thanks fella - a couple more for the list!

DWG Warrior
    Gramaphone on North Clark Street was the thing back in the day. There were also some more second hand spots in that area.
    DO-City´s Calling

DWG Warrior
    Check out Joe's Record Paradise if you're willing to take a short (and easy) train or car ride out to Silver Springs while you're in DC. I think they moved not long ago but the link above should be current.

DWG Warrior
    Cheers - so much planned for DC already, but hopefully a 30 min train journey should be OK. Thanks for the heads up folks!

DWG Warrior
    Heading to Chicago in a couple of months. Anyone know if the same stores above are still the go-to spots?

Have done some research & have a good idea of what I'm likely to be doing, but if there are any must see / must do / must eat recommendations, I'm all ears..

Thanks.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fecam View Post
    have a good idea of what I'm likely to be doing
    Scofflaw?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fecam View Post
    Heading to Chicago in a couple of months. Anyone know if the same stores above are still the go-to spots?

Have done some research & have a good idea of what I'm likely to be doing, but if there are any must see / must do / must eat recommendations, I'm all ears..

Thanks.
    Rekkids-wise, I only got to Dusty Groove when I was there - not much there when I was in, but (as you'll probably know) there is a fairly regular stock turnover in there, so you may get lucky.

Best deep dish I had was from Pizzeria Uno - http://www.unos.com/about.php. The other big-hitters are Gino's, Lou Malnati's and Giordano's, which seem to divide opinion most amongst most people!

The sandwiches in this place are legendary too - http://www.alsbeef.com/
    Last edited by Frosty; 24-02-16 at 03:50 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dannycrates View Post
    Dave's Records & Jazz Record Mart are both worth a look Frosty. Good bookshop next to JRM too.
    Yeah - 2 great spots! JRM is open quite late in the evening as I remember - or at least it was dark when I went there so must've been quite late. Copped some seal Jazz OG's there for peanuts too. Just Jazz there though and a decent latin section when I visited.
    Dave's is better for all round digging but make sure you go through the crates on the floor as full of heat and catalogue fillers for cheap. Copped a pile of nice stuff there for around the $5 - $10 mark including some CTI radio station copies of stuff like Joe Farrell.
    Need to get back out there.