Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Looks like Jazz Record Mart has now closed. Sounded like a great spot.

DWG Warrior
    So Dusty Groove and Dave's are the ones to try then? I'll be there in a few weeks.

DWG Warrior
    Hope I'm there before you!

DWG Warrior
    Ha, I'll be working last week of March and then staying for the weekend 2nd/3rd. Are you going to beat me there? haha

DWG Warrior
    No - I get there on the 16th April..

DWG Warrior
    Nice, I'll see what I can clear out then! haha

Anyone know a sneaker spot worth checking in Chicago? I've done some Googling and keep finding places full of basketball shoes when I'm more interested in Air Max, Adidas Originals etc.

DWG Warrior
    @ whosaidjazz

Any joy in Chicago? Any recommendations over & above what's already in this thread - music, food, sights etc..

DWG Warrior
    I popped into Dusty Groove, ended up getting a few bits but nothing amazing I would say. Maybe worth a look if you're close. The Art Institute is amazing if you like that kind of thing. I had plenty of really good craft beer but none of the bars were specifically great. Spent some time in LakeView which is one of the northern neighbourhoods that a colleague of mine lives in. Lots of nice restaurants/bars up there. Also went to somewhere called Headquarters Beercade which was full of arcade games and pinball, all free while you're drinking. The music was god-awful when we were there though.

Not sure if that's helpful or not but a few things in there!

I drive up to Chicago every few months for a day of digging. Lots of spots but generally seem overpriced for the grading.

As several people have said, Dusty Grooves, Dave's and Gramaphone are cool. And all fairly near each other. Gramaphone is better if you're into club/house/techno type ish. Reckless seemed cool, only went to one of them. But the one I went to kept all the vinyl behind the counter and you had to take the sleeves up when you bought it. Didn't dig that at all as ladt time I went three records I wanted were "new" but the last copies they had so they were opened.

There's also Out the Past and Hyde Park Records. Haven't been to them in a while but they are decent if still open. And driving around you'll end up running into a random store or two.

DWG Warrior
    Loved Chicago.

Thought that the aforementioned spots were pretty disappointing compared to stores in other cities, with the selection at Dusty Groove being particularly underwhelming.

Best shop by an absolute mile was Logan Hardware Store. They had a lot (a few thousand) of used hip hop records and huge selections of all genres. They also had one of the largest selections of 45's I've ever seen in a store. I picked up a few records - all priced to sell ($0.99 - $4.99) and was really only limited by the weight given that I was on a 'Boris bike'. No raers, although I was happy to pick up the Black A.G. ‎– Fame Goes To Your Head OG 12" for 1 and an unknown (to me) EP by Sharkula. Got a couple of those Sprite 12s (Mobb Deep & LL Cool J) as well as a handful of other minty/sealed 12"s for peanuts.

Logans has an arcade machine museum out the back too, with all machines set to free play..