Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DWG Warrior
    ^Ha ha, good points being made. However when i first saw your post Bryn, thought that was you standing on the right of Joey Caperella!!

DWG Warrior
    At the end of the day it's swings and roundabouts though as no one has a crystal ball to know which limited releases will inflate in value and which won't.
    Jacked up prices are not taking money from the pocket of the label/artist though as all of the copies being sold were bought by someone, if MC X presses only 200 7"s and they sellout immediately (usually at a higher than normal price for the format) only to appear on Discogs for twice or more the price he isn't losing any money as he sold all of his initial press thus recouping and hopefully increasing his investment in himself.
    Inflated prices do not mean that he has under pressed the record either especially if people have bought multiple copies to grip and flip, thus exposing themselves to a financial risk/reward.

Now with all this in play we should also remember that MC X has also helped create the scarcity of his release as he has only pressed 200 copies and this limiting of the stock is the one of the reasons these types of records are usually sold at a premium.
    Last edited by Imperial_Mao; 29-04-16 at 10:13 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Yo son I just seen 6 fiends around a flipper

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dannycrates View Post
    ^Ha ha, good points being made. However when i first saw your post Bryn, thought that was you standing on the right of Joey Caperella!!
    ha ha i couldn't kick it with that dumb dick! (shout to Kool Moe Dee)

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_Mao View Post
    no one has a crystal ball to know which limited releases will inflate in value and which won't. .
    6 copies dude seemed to have a pretty good idea, as did several others no doubt. You don't need a crystal ball: you need a functioning knowledge of the market and the artist. Hence people buying up multiples of that title: it was perfectly clear that it was going to be a big deal, anyone with an eye on the game could see that.

Jacked up prices at resale are not technically taking money out of teh label/artist pocket, but the instant flourishing of an inflated market basically is losing them money in the form of lost potential earnings, because secondary sellers are filling demand they can't supply by passing on their product immediately for vast profit. if someone sells a copy for 200 the same week as release, and scarcity was built into the product, daupe is picking up tab for manufacture on a dude making 175 clear profit. I mean, costs are covered, profit is made, rare records are cool, and good luck to flippers and all who shop with them. But if your goal is getting music out there, and getting as much money as you can for yourself and the artist, the sensible thing from a business perspective is to make enough to fill initial demand, not short it so other people can make huge profits on your time. you know, maybe even repress if it looks like you could do it. given the hype, I reckon daupe could have flipped 1000 copies of Flygod, put 500 through distribution and probably filled 500 orders direct. more money for everyone. the production cost would have been less per piece too. rare records out themselves anyway: demand remains, copies dry up.

I mean either make more copies, or sell less copies for more: exhaust demand at the price point. why short demand at x, and lose what could have been your sales as some guy makes y?

I mean, it kind of hurts these days buying records that you know aren't going to increase in value, so connected with investment and rarity and objects has the new record market become. I still feel gutted when I look at shit I thought might become pricy and there's 20 on discogs and its worth 8 tops if you could sell it. But what part of the game is that anyway, really? it's some kind of late neoliberal-era circle jerk where people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, daily mail world were people are freaking out about house prices all the time, and a repress of an in-demand title might fuck up your unplayed investment copies. fuck that

no shade at anyone btw. rate the label, rate the artist, fan of the records. just a bit fucked off at the way that gougers are in a pole position on limited releases to basically play all those three parts of the puzzle - label, artist, fans - for suckers. no different to the mouthbreathers lining up on record store day to buy ghostbusters picture disc for ebay listing that day

before anyone says I'm being holier than thou, its not like I haven't played this buy-two-copies game myself before now, and not like I wont in future. still sucks though.
    Last edited by fin; 29-04-16 at 03:55 PM.
    fight wire with wire

DWG Warrior
    I hear what you are saying, but also think, "it what it is"

If Daupe! released 500-1000 copies, would there be as much hype behind it? I think he's thought about it & got the market spot on. No label wants to sit on unsold stock & the way the releases are selling, it's great for him.

On the other hand, a repress of the the Hitler series would probably sell just as well, AND make more people happy.

DWG Warrior
    The guy who bought 6 copies has done well but it could have easily gone the other way, it's no good getting salty that his game was more on point than yours, to be fair the limited game is a lot less competitive these days, I seem to remember some releases of less the 300 copies selling out in hours not days when all this seemed to be starting.
    We all score sometimes and lose out at others with what we buy, as long as you enjoy the music you've bought all else is secondary, to be honest I don't think I've ever bought multiples of any of the limited releases to sell on and when out digging I rarely buy things to sell or trade, it just doesn't cross my mind. However when I pull something out of my collection I no longer want and it's worth a few quid I'm over the moon when I shift it on Discogs.

DWG Warrior
    now who wants to trade hitler pt 2 for a blood red roses 10"

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but also think, "it what it is"

If Daupe! released 500-1000 copies, would there be as much hype behind it? I think he's thought about it & got the market spot on. No label wants to sit on unsold stock & the way the releases are selling, it's great for him.

On the other hand, a repress of the the Hitler series would probably sell just as well, AND make more people happy.
    word

DWG Warrior
    Re: number of copies / hype - maybe so, and that certainly can happen. but in this case the amount of hype is pretty much beyond that level. Dudes are being interviewed left right and centre by radio DJs and hype generators who prob don't know or care about any hype over here, styles p and prodigy jumping on stage w them, conways collaborating w Mac Miller (ie starting working w industry people way outside that east coast / euro crossover zone inhabited) etc: they deservedly look poised to move to a level way above the politics of limited pressings, and I'll be surprised if they don't. So in this case id say the hype around the number of copies is secondary - there's genuine industry hype around the artists

They aren't on combat jack because it was limited run