Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    I had an mpc 60, 500 and 2000xl. The 60 is just a stripped down 950 without the editing options. So if ur after that mpc60 sound just get a 950. The 500 was nice for on the go and to take out to a friends studio with ease. Sound quality was meh imho. The 2000xl I had for about a year and then I switched up to an mv8800 witch I still use today. I absolutely love this machine. It's a big ass dedicated computer made for sampling. The sound quality is very honest. Whatever you put in it you will get out of it.

I also had an s5000 but I thought that sounded weak and the interface was a **** to get around with.

DWG Warrior
    Man I think the 500 sounds really good, especially when u start using the filters and resampling. Can get some really filthy and hard hitting drums using those techniques. Some of the effects are pretty dicey though.. especially the reverb..

Have u heard the boogeyman blend remixes? Dont know anything about the guy other than he posted on phila forums, and he uses the 500 for the beats.

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/view...&hilit=mpc+500

DWG Warrior
    I always wanted to upgrade from my MV8000 to the 8800, I'd still grab one for the right price. :-)

DWG Warrior
    I've used to following setups:

Roland DJ70 using cubase on an Atari ST as a sequencer & an SP12 for drums. Pretty nice for learning how to perform the various functions of each machine, the DJ70 had an amazing filter for those early 90's 'filtered bass' type tracks. The SP 12 is so easy to use & intuitive a master piece of engineering…Let alone how good it sounds, it's still in the mix as a sampler. Went on to buy an MPC2000 which at the time was was a breakthrough in the respect that you could make fully realised beats in the box, made a whole LP using this machine with some assistance from an Akai S3000. I've used an Akai S1000 and always wondered about the tiny high pitched bleep it emits at the start of every sample triggered, the S950 is a better machine...

In the end I came to be very weary of the sound of the MPC2000 which I now consider to be hard but cold sounding and I can hear the sound a mile off when I hear it used in production.

I've used an Apogee Duet for years with a Macbook pro running Logic 7.2.3 and a M-Audio Axiom keyboard. The sound & versatility is perfect for what I want to do musically. Seriously thinking of buying an Arturia Minibrute to make cosmic space sounds & John Carpenter moody pulses...
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his need

DWG Warrior
    Sexy time ^^

i just popped my sampler cherry & copped an SP404sx
    cant wait to try it out. The manual is already giving me nervous brain pulses.

DWG Warrior
    Nice one, don't worry you'll pick it up really quick I'm sure.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    i just popped my sampler cherry & copped an SP404sx
    cant wait to try it out. The manual is already giving me nervous brain pulses.
    Stilts, have u had a go at making beats before? its mad addictive fun! be prepared for time to dissapear quickly...
    Last edited by theblend; 25-03-16 at 09:57 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnycuba View Post
    In the end I came to be very weary of the sound of the MPC2000 which I now consider to be hard but cold sounding and I can hear the ound a mile off when I hear it used in production.

Shit! man your ears must be so finely tuned, I always thought it was quite neutral sounding. Ive never had proper monitor speakers tho lol Can u notice the sound of the 2000 thru regular hifi speakers or is it something only noticable on monitors?

Nothing useful to add (I've had an MPC 2000 and a few other things in my time – and I've got an MPC Studio sat boxed next to my desk right now), but just wanted to say this thread is really interesting.

Thanks everyone who's contributed.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    just wanted to say this thread is really interesting.

Thanks everyone who's contributed.
    cosign on that one! Thanks from me too, always love a good discussion about this stuff

Dug up this old thread from 2008 too, in case anyone missed it! some invaluable info dropped by many knowlegeable heads on this board

http://forum.diggerswithgratitude.co...g%29-questions