Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Is digging for records in London dead?

Went into London today with the sole purpose of hitting up 4-5 shops and buying records. It's been something I've done regularly for the last 20 years, usually every 2-3 months, but for one reason or another I've only made it up a couple of times this year. Today was the first time I've come back completely empty handed. Bit pissed off as I had the whole day off to myself and feel like I should've done something else now!

I visited the MVE in Greenwich, Flashback in Shoreditch, Reckless and Sister Ray in Soho, and as a last resort the MVE in Notting Hill. There was a lot of jumping on and off trains and distance covered. Wasn't expecting a mammoth haul but at least a handful of reasonably priced records and a few bargain bin finds - some keepers, some to resell and some that I dont know but look interesting enough to take a punt on. These days I'm usually only looking for 90s and some 00s rap and the odd old jungle/drum & bass 12".

If you're in need of every 00s Rocafella/Murder Inc/Fabolous/Def Jam release you're in dreamland. Avid collector of Killah Kuts 12s? Go nuts. In need of a 25 repress of Wu Tang/Mobb Deep/MF Doom/J Dilla etc then you're very much in luck.

I found nothing. I put this down to

- People selling online instead of taking records to a shop for cash/exchange
    - Everyone is out buying records and the good stuff gets snapped up as soon as it hits the racks
    - There's no market for 90s Hip Hop 12"s as it's a shrinking market and generally anyone that buys it has pretty much everything they need.

Just wondering what everyone else's experience of real life digging is like these days? Is Rarekind in Brighton actually the only place in the South worth visiting for second hand rap vinyl?
    Last edited by step one; 29-12-16 at 06:27 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Just to balance the complaint, I've been fortunate to have some great days at shops local to me (I'm about 30 miles out of London) in the last 12 months , picking up stacks of records and reselling enough to cover the cost of what I kept. Having store owners that dont know/care about certain genres helps a lot

I took full advantage of that golden era (2006+) of lots of DJs selling their vinyl when digital DJing first became popular but that seems a long time ago now.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    I've found that, quite a bit over the last few years in London, admittedly I only get up to London a few times a year, so perhaps I just choose bad times to go, but generally I'll stay with tried and tested places outside of London where I have much more luck, and generally forget London for digging.

DWG Warrior
    That's a shame, used to love going to London for a dig...but havent been for a couple of years. Still always find stuff in Liverpool, Manchester & Newcastle - my main digging spots.

DWG Warrior
    No, you're right guys, it's pretty dead out there. I live in London and can barely muster the enthusiasm to dig anymore because of the sorry state that it's in. Flashback in Islington is sometimes worth a look though, as is Vinyl Pimp in Hackney. I usually always find something in there (just go to Discogs first to browse, select what you want and pick it up instore as they keep most out back and not storefront).

DWG Warrior
    I can't speak for London but up north it's been like that for years, you rarely find anything to get excited about unless you're into the standard record collector style rock chud.
    There have been occasional golden moments of the odd collection turning up here and there in shops but generally I've had to rely on online shopping to turn up anything really interesting.

DWG Warrior
    There are loads of more interesting shops than those mentioned in London but I'm not looking for 90's rap records. They seem to be opening new ones all the time.

Saturday morning at Rat Records Camberwell is where it's been at for me on recent visits.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Looking at my discogs wants list everything I'm after is in the US, Germany or Japan. I've always preferred buying in person though and it'll be a shame if/when that is no longer an option. Fortunately I'm off to the States next year - looking forward to my first trip to Amoeba

DWG Warrior
    You might bump into Wicked in Amoeba.

Is it gonna be on sight like Above The Law vs. Da Lench Mob at the New Music Seminar?

DWG Warrior
    Not gonna lie, that thought had crossed my mind