Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    agreed with the OP. I am regular digger in the US and Canada and I said the same thing to myself a couple months ago. I was in NYC and I stopped at "Good Records" in SOHO. I had never been but reading the reviews, it sounded like I needed to stop in. I wasn't impressed with the selection. The only rationale I concluded was the highly collectable records were kept in the backroom and sold online.

I also found a store in Brooklyn that does the same thing (mainly sells good items on ebay). Sad to see to be honest

I go to London about 5 times a year and I'll spend a whole day record shopping on each visit, you need a day now as most of the shops are so far away from each other that once you include shops like Alans/Rat/Yam you are going to struggle to do them in a day actually and the bummer is you could hit all the spots and still fail to find anything you really need/want that said I've never left empty handed from Love Vinyl yet.

When in London Im mainly looking for hip hop 12"s circa 86, Notting Hill MVE and Love Vinyl are usually ok for these but pickings are getting slim on each visit.
    I also buy any half decent hip hop albums that were released from the jump to the year 2000, there are like 100's I don't have and a trip to london used to yield some good pick ups, albums the average joe isnt really interested in, but these seem to be disappearing form the racks, Wreckless still get a good selection in but condition isnt great most of the time so I leave empty handed.

DWG Warrior
    There are still good spots do your research, get in town early ask around the shops that are still open in the west end. Eldica is always on my to do. Alan's in finchley for 2nd hand hip hop/12s of all types and tons of 45s. Sorry if ive blown this up now but who cares (buy me a pint when you see me) he's always getting new hip hop vinyl i go there and come out with records and at a very reasonable price. Charity shops in North London also if your lucky hold gems. I picked up some import 12s out of one on the main East Finchley high street last summer all a pound each still in shrink wrap looked like the records had possibly come from ex shop stock.

DWG Warrior
    I've heard of Alan's but never been there. Always seems a bit too far out and for the most part the shops I mentioned have always kept me busy enough over the years. Might take a trip up there in the New Year though.

DWG Warrior
    ^^Worth the train ride Step and the long-azz walk up to the end of the high street but good little shop nice owner always up for a haggle.

DWG Warrior
    Central London yes it's a bit dead,nothing like years ago,I got up to London 4 or 5 times last year,and got a decent haul at Reckless only once,so obviously just hitting it at the lucky time.
    As said above,you need to hit the little shops further out these days...

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    Not gonna lie, that thought had crossed my mind
    LOL

enjoy Amoeba and don't sleep on http://www.rasputinmusic.com/locations been 8 years though

DWG Warrior
    I live in Toronto but Cosmos Records has a store in the UK. From the quality of records I see here in Toronto, there should be the same type of caliber across the pond. Has anyone been?

DWG Warrior
    Living in London long are the days gone of record shopping, I haven't found a single thing I wanted for a few years so all my buying is online or online from shops that have stores but are not in London.

DWG Warrior
    Had quiet a bit in Crazy Beat lately, non of the rap really goes on the Discogs account as I would rather it be in the shop.
    Some nice minters in last week!

Anyway it's been a while, everybody ok?