Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DWG Warrior
    I quizzed Vadim one time about what equipment he used, he said "there's more than one way to climb a mountain", and like stilts said dig, wait until you find something that you personally like. Don't bite. Good luck finding your own sound.
    "I have no idea what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time" - Dexter Morgan.

DWG Warrior
    Hit up the Jazz Club, m8. You'll hear plenty of nice breaks there.

Honestly, If you have to be told what to sample and follow someone else's advice, it's not fun anymore for you. It's tainted without that "ah ha, there it is" moment, and it feels like it's not really your beats.

Just find something that you like by listening like a producer until you find your loop.

Some Godfather Don breaks:

- "Before I rest"

Go find some records your own records. Find a musician/band you like. Find out who they played with, who produced, the label, the alias etc etc etc there is a shit tonne of great music out there, experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    Find a musician/band you like. Find out who they played with, who produced, the label, the alias etc etc etc there is a shit tonne of great music out there, experiment!
    Word !
    It's all about session musicians...you like a bass line on a specific song check out who played it...you like some horns or drums then check out who played them...

Go out buy records, listen to them and sample the bits that feel right, there's no magic answer and part of the skill of making beats is finding things to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_Mao View Post
    Go out buy records, listen to them and sample the bits that feel right, there's no magic answer and part of the skill of making beats is finding things to flip.
    Agreed.
    It builds the foundation when it comes to sampled based music.

Bottom line. There is no Godfather Don filter or plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by djabstract View Post
    I don't know dude. The 50-70's jazz/funk has been sampled to death. How about sampling something new? Like Menahan Street Band, or El Michels Affair? That would be awesome and I don't think there's much sampling going on from this era!
    http://hiphopdx.com/editorials/id.22...f-soul-samples

Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    Some Godfather Don breaks:

- "Before I rest"

Go find some records your own records. Find a musician/band you like. Find out who they played with, who produced, the label, the alias etc etc etc there is a shit tonne of great music out there, experiment!
    word up son! tyvm