Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

A Favor to ask from some of the old heads in here: crate digging @ Roosevelt Record Convention

I was contacted by a film team who are doing a documentary on Netflix about Hip Hop producers in the 1990s. No doubt it would be something some of us here would be interested in watching. Anyways, part of the feature will be focusing on crate digging at the Roosevelt Record Convention around 1990. The contact asked specifically for pictures that showed this record convention around that time period.

I've seen a few semi-related old school crate digging pics in here but I can't seem to find the link to it. Anyways, remembering that topic made me remember that some of you may be able to provide such pics to me to pass on to the filmmakers or perhaps leads to some people who were there at the time willing to oblige. Photography credit will be given obviously to whoever provides such photos.

Thanks in advance to whoever knows wassup with this overly specific request.

DWG Warrior
    There was a Wax Poetics article on the Roosevelt that had a few pics. Not sure if it's still online though.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    There was a Wax Poetics article on the Roosevelt that had a few pics. Not sure if it's still online though.
    Thanks step one, exactly, good call. http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/featu...n-era-hip-hop/

She linked me to that blog when she asked for help, so I'm guessing she wants more or different pics to choose from.

DWG Warrior
    She just got back to me with clarification. BTW This is to be a new Hip Hop producers specific episode for the documentary Hip Hop Evolution.

I'll just copy/paste what she is looking for...

We interview artists like Large Professor, Pete Rock, Q-Tip, etc. that talk about how important the Roosevelt record convention was for crate digging.
    Any photos or footage of this would be brilliant.

Here's the link of photos again from 'Wax Poetics' magazine. (I've reached out to ask Wax Poetics if they have these)

1) Gallery of Roosevelt Record Convention, Wax Poetics, Issue 9
    http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/featu...ion-1993-1995/

2) Any crate digging photos or footage from c.1990s is great - at other conventions or record stores - we need to show that an era of hip hop producers emerged in the early 1990s and show collectors, producers, artist on the hunt.

Absolutely, any contributors will be credited in our credit list ( as will you/your site, for your help. )

In fact, it's important that we know who the author is of the photo (and people in the photo if possible), so as to ask their permission in writing and receive a signed permission form from them.
    (We can pay an honorium - say $200 - for a collection of photos, if need be, and depending on the quality and amount provided. High quality scans are pretty important too. Or, we can always receive photos by FedEx, scan in Toronto at our film office and return).
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by rchecka; 16-08-17 at 11:41 PM. Reason: bold font overkill

DWG Warrior
    Rchecka you should hit up Phill Most Chill - he's bound to have a ton of pics from there.

Not exactly what you're looking for but a guy I know did an article on his website where he tried to establish a definitive set of records that were being bought by the producers in that early 90's period (Wall Of Fame 95). Worth a look.

http://www.forumusic.co.uk/wof_95.html
    Last edited by Campag Record; 17-08-17 at 10:00 AM.

DWG Warrior
    ^^^ Cool article.

I just fully nerded out and counted how many of those records I have.

35 WOF'ers

28 OG's and 7 reissues.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    I've got 46 of them, mainly reissues though.

Hard to resist joining in.
    39 OG
    15 reissues

DWG Warrior
    I got one of them off you Nige.

I reckon the only mythical raer on there is Stark Reality. Funny how the world of rare records opened up after this era.

My most wanted is probably 100 Pure Poison and hopefully in the wild as it's a UK record. Need a Baby Huey as well.

Only just picked up the Bobbi Humphrey in a local shop on Monday for less than a couple of pints.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.