Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    I have a feeling that Discogs is going to get shut down soon (not related to bootlegs) and I think I have a good idea why, but I shall keep that to myself for now....
    Come on you can't don that, is this a theory or are you privy to knowledge we don't know ?

DWG Warrior
    Good article ^^

DWG Warrior
    The amount of money they are going to lose will be insane. I imagine over the next few months some people who work for discogs will be looking for jobs.
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    I imagine they still make a fuck tonne of money.
    Think about how many unofficial releases you have in your collection, compared to the legit. About 5% if that?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    I imagine they still make a fuck tonne of money.
    Think about how many unofficial releases you have in your collection, compared to the legit. About 5% if that?
    ...Compared to the litigation money Discogs would bleeding out to those copyright troll lawyers that caused this move (if they hadnt reacted). It says a lot about how large labels are doing if they are targeting this niche of a niche, I mean what is their play here? Are sales of the legit releases that were being bootlegged going to skyrocket now? I doubt it. And why not just investigate those obviously shady looking large-scale pirate bootlegging lables which more or less openly press up albums without having any licensing rights? Instead of throwing unreleased indie/underground hip-hop cuts and so many more "unofficial" releases that not really (deserve to be) qualified as bootlegs into the same category.

To relay stilts again: They want to make an example out of Discogs. Discogs is covering its ass and should be able to survive on the fees it cashes from all official releases..

I support the idea of a new "open" market platform but this would need time to build and attract supply and demand plus it would need to be as well structured as Discogs in order to be decent alternative. But wouldnt that just create the same problem for that new platform? This reminds me somehow of when Soundcloud got hit by the labels..

Seeing all this BS that the major labels are pulling at the moment I kinda wish theyd go back to focus on pursuing illegal downloading of music..

DWG Warrior
    Does anyone actually know why Discogs is doing this?

Has it been officially announced that it's major labels breathing down there necks?

Edits and Bootlegs are still available (with new ones coming everyday) from all the big vinyl retailers (real world and online) I seems to be only Discogs who are currently on a crusade.

DWG Warrior
    the majors can make a valuation of the profit that discogs have made by allowing people to sell bootlegs , just by looking at the sale history and that's probably why they have blocked the sales history...also discogs is the biggest fish in the market in terms of revenue

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    Does anyone actually know why Discogs is doing this?

Has it been officially announced that it's major labels breathing down there necks?
    I think the article above brings up a good possibility, that they may be trying to clean up Discogs before selling it or just getting it ready for the spotlight in some way. Makes a lot more sense than the music industry suddenly going after them after all these years for something they can't be losing money on now. I don't see how they stand to benefit from blocking bootlegged copies of music they never pressed to vinyl