DWG Warrior
    What's beef?
    Beef is when you argue about Akinyele emails on DWG

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    What's beef?
    Beef is when you argue about Akinyele emails on DWG

Put it in your mailbox.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Contributor
    Just to reiterate the points you ignored:

I don't get to decide people pay £10 for a signature. On my site, with my book, I don't charge for that. This publishing house, which will own the rights to this project, do. Their experience has taught them that some people will pay more for signed copies - and some will. Bear in mind this isn't profit - this is to fund the publication of the book, including a hefty chunk for clearances which will involve paying photographers and artists for rights. But even if it was profit for the publisher, what of it? It's out of my hands.

Not sure what your Howard Carter reference is about? Nothing is getting plundered here - we're putting together a collection of items we've paid for with our own money and work and putting a book together is a lot of work and no joke. In the same way that Stretch's recent 'No Sleep' book is his work, or Paradise's his. Our project is no different and your attempt to play the race card is pathetic and somewhat demeaning to yourself. The stuff I have in my collection isn't the Elgin Marbles, spirited away from the rightful owner by a nasty white man - if that's the parallel you're drawing, then it also applies to every single collection and collector here. A truly baffling comparison

Yes, I'm aware those words were mine - I didn't say they weren't. I stand by them entirely. I'm just pointing out they're irrelevant to this entire situation. Just to make it ultra clear to you - that was about an artist trying to charge more for a reissue than a not particularly rare record went for on the open market, plus an extra premium for signing it. I pointed out that most artists sign records for free as a given. Our signatures on this book are a funding mechanism to support a project and one the publisher has as a contractual right. So, I don't want people to pay £10 for the 'privilege', the publisher does. And, of course, no-one is twisting anyone's arm to go for a signed copy. Jeez.

Again, fascinated at how your mind works that you're content to point score, congratulating yourself on digging up an old thread that actually isn't relevant - it might be if I was charging people extra to buy my Wiggaz book in a signed format, but I'm not (in fact, I even offered a DWG discount code - it was cheaper to buy a signed copy from me than one from Amazon).

And yes, I haven't bothered you for a couple of years - once a couple of emails go unreturned, I get the message. I still regard it as rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    Drew. You’re a white man, in a black man’s world.

(I assume) you have used your “economic privilege” to acquire many items from Hip Hop’s history over the years;

Now you want people to pay £10 for the “privilege” of your signature on this book of your acquisitions?

Question; do you consider yourself the Howard Carter of Hip Hop?

PS: the words I quoted about paying for a signature were your “own” words before – and everyone can read those clearly.

PPS: Don’t even start me on the your “Akinyele” request – I have ALL the emails right here.

PPPS: the last email I got from you was nearly 3 years ago.

Have a “wonderful” day…..

DWG Warrior
    Great response!

Obviously as a “honky” (perhaps “wigger”) myself, I am sometimes concerned that I have used (what I must personally consider) my own “economic privilege” to having purchased many records over the years (sometimes for seemingly very low prices) that I could have never dreamed of owning (if the internet hadn’t existed).

I bought them because I loved and wanted to own the music that I’d heard on the radio (and couldn’t buy at the time) as a kid. I am sure you also acquired all the items you did (records and more) for the same reason (not forgetting the promo stuff you have probably been sent).

Your justification for why its £10 extra for your signature seems reasonable (from a costings perspective) also. But given the prior project, it might have been better (from a marketing perspective) to say the signed copy came as standard, as “signing” on the first project leads to an expectation – regardless as to the “selling platform’s” standards.

I took your post way back then (and sorry for “dragging it up” but I really agreed with you at the time and it stuck in my mind) to be your “absolute moral standard”, so I was surprised to see the extra £10 option.

Are you sure the platform prohibits you to sign stuff, unless people pay £10 extra – the platform should be hauled up on that…

As per my first post, this looks great – I want to support it.

As far as your “Elgin Marbles” comment, well it looks like you’ve got your own (from a “rarity” perspective) in the alternative cover for “Critical Beatdown” – wow (this is not a comment on the cost of the item, nor an insinuation that you obtained it by some "immoral" (or otherwise) means).

PS. Sorry for the breakdown in communications. About the time, a family member passed away. I owe you a response, which I will send to you personally by email.
    Last edited by Tha_Disc_Eater; 21-10-17 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

DWG Warrior
    alternative cover for “Critical Beatdown”
    can someone link me to a pic of this please?

DWG Contributor
    Hey Pete - thanks for that reply, and really sorry to hear about the family member.

Glad we've scaled back down! I reserve falling outs on here for the likes of Wicked22.

I wish I had that Ultras pic - that's one from Dan's personal collection. We had a great deal in place with Janette Beckman at a much cheaper level, but then she did a deal with a NY gallery and it fell through - so Dan is coughing up his own gems he bought from her a few years back.

Yeah, the signing fee is the platform's policy - and I understand it from their point of view. Of course, the other option is to cop the standard issue and get me to sign it when you see me next.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    Great response!

Obviously as a “honky” (perhaps “wigger”) myself, I am sometimes concerned that I have used (what I must personally consider) my own “economic privilege” to having purchased many records over the years (sometimes for seemingly very low prices) that I could have never dreamed of owning (if the internet hadn’t existed).

I bought them because I loved and wanted to own the music that I’d heard on the radio (and couldn’t buy at the time) as a kid. I am sure you also acquired all the items you did (records and more) for the same reason (not forgetting the promo stuff you have probably been sent).

Your justification for why its £10 extra for your signature seems reasonable (from a costings perspective) also. But given the prior project, it might have been better (from a marketing perspective) to say the signed copy came as standard, as “signing” on the first project leads to an expectation – regardless as to the “selling platform’s” standards.

I took your post way back then (and sorry for “dragging it up” but I really agreed with you at the time and it stuck in my mind) to be your “absolute moral standard”, so I was surprised to see the extra £10 option.

Are you sure the platform prohibits you to sign stuff, unless people pay £10 extra – the platform should be hauled up on that…

As per my first post, this looks great – I want to support it.

As far as your “Elgin Marbles” comment, well it looks like you’ve got your own (from a “rarity” perspective) in the alternative cover for “Critical Beatdown” – wow (this is not a comment on the cost of the item, nor an insinuation that you obtained it by some "immoral" (or otherwise) means).

PS. Sorry for the breakdown in communications. About the time, a family member passed away. I owe you a response, which I will send to you personally by email.

DWG Warrior
    I guess this got canned then?

I'm bumping because I saw this crazy item today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183842200637
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    I guess this got canned then?

I'm bumping because I saw this crazy item today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183842200637
    N E E D
    DO-City´s Calling