Welcome to the DWG Forums.

Thread: Japan 2018

DWG Warrior

Japan 2018

The last Japan-dedicated thread I could find is a few years old, and while I bet a lot of that info is still good, I'm now looking for some up-to-date recommendations. I'll be honeymooning in Tokyo and Kyoto (with some day trips in between and a couple nights in Osaka) for a couple weeks in March.

Record store info is abundant online, but any can't miss spots? Clothes and sneaker shopping? Museums and day trips? Food and drinks? Upcoming concerts?

Any and all recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks!

DWG Warrior
    Osaka must visit ‘Groovenut Records’ & ‘King Kong Records’ that whole area is incredible. Loads of great & bizzar shops ie a jet ski covered in mirror glass stuck on the outside of the shop, giant moving robitic octopus etc etc grab a record store map & go from there. Uprisemarket for BBP stuff (about 10 mins walk from groovenut) I’ll dig out the google map I made.. I star’ed a load of shops & places to eat.

Tokyo to Kyoto, grab the bullet train, from the station Hetset Records is not far at all. Grab the record store map & go to this dusty little spot round the corner.

Ill dig out more stuff when I can.

DWG Warrior
    best gyoza in Kyoto, highly recommended
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...ure_Kinki.html

DWG Warrior
    yeah that spot near Jetset is good and cheap...45 vinyl is called if i remember correctly

DWG Warrior
    and there's a new disk union in Osaka which wasn't bad at all (i think opened 2 /3 years ago)...above sometimes they do a record fair , which is definitely an experience

DWG Warrior
    stilts, I almost just private messaged you on this one, but figured a thread would be like a bat signal either way.

Appreciate these reccs, will start digging in shortly!

DWG Warrior
    I also did the Tokyo>Kyoto>Osaka in Sept. I only hit up the main well known spots which have all been mentioned many times before but I'll list them here for you just in case:

TOKYO
    Disk Union Shibuya (Hip Hop/Dance) 30-7 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku, 150-0042 (‘Antena 21’ Building, 4th floor)

HMV (2nd hand vinyl) 36-2 Udagawa-cho, 150-0042 Shibuya (Don't sleep, some gems in here!)

Manhattan Records (Hip Hop ) 10-1 Udagaw-acho, Shibuya (just off of Inokashira Dori a little further up from HMV)

Tower Records Shibuya (1-22-14 Jinnan, Shibuya-ku)

Next Records - 2F, 11-11 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku , Tokyo (Fairly decent selection of Hip Hop but I found them to be quite pricy)

RECOfan Shibuya BEAM (Vinyl / DVD) (4th Floor, 31-2 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku)

Disk Union - Shinjuku (Hip Hop) (Fukumoto Bldg. 3F, 3-28-2 ,Shinjuku-ku, 160-0022)

Next Records (Hip Hop 12”s) (11-11 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 2nd floor of
    Yanagitsu Building)

Disk Union (Cinema store)( Mitsumine Bldg. 3F, 3-28-4 Shinjuku-ku, 160-0022)

Disk Union (Used Store) (Kawase Bldg. 3F, 3-17-5 Shinjuku-ku, 160-0022)

Lot of decent shops in Shimokitazawa area too but I didn't have time to check them all out.

KYOTO
    Jet Set Records (Shimomaruyachō (Kawaramachidōri), Nakagyō-ku,Kyōto 604-8006)
    Check the main Hip Hop back catalogue section UNDER the main racks. Hip Hop stuff in the racks mainly new and reissues

Tokyo shops:

For Hip Hop Coconut Disk in Yoyogi is good, but its the only interesting store in that area, its easy to get to but if you are on limited time its best to hit up an area with more stores.

I like Face Records in Shibuya, really good for Japanese music these days.

There's a shop in Nakano called Turntable Tokyo, its essential for cheap Japanese music, but hes only open Sat/Sun.

There's a newish (new to me anyway) shop in Shimokitazawa called General Record Store and a brand new spot called Record Base (if I remember right) that had good stock of funksoul/disco/hip hop.

But the essential and easy to find spots are Disk Union and HMV in Shibuya.

DWG Warrior
    Hugely helpful across the board...appreciate the help! Adding these to an already-too-ambitious itinerary.

Any more specific food/restaurant/market reccs?