Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Considering buying a collection

So I stumbled upon this guy who is selling his collection of 200 or so mainly hip-hop records, of which Id estimate 80% is definately good/interesting stuff (counting maybe 20% which I already own). His ask is 3500€ which is pretty stiffly priced, as Id say only about a third has a current Discogs sale price (not even considering the Discogs averages yet) of above the approx. 16.50 he is charging per record.

I was wondering if you guys have ever bought a whole collection and how you negotiated?

DWG Warrior
    Tell him GOOD LUCK!

If he wants to make that sort of money, he'll need to sell them individually.

WAY too expensive... I've bought good collections of several thousand records for that sort of money in the past...

DWG Warrior
    Yeah, thought so too,to sell individually the indies/rares that fetch 20-50+ and then sell the rest for a decent price..

The thing to bear in mind is those indies don't just sell in an instant... you could list them all for a 'fair' price on discogs and chances are you'd still have at least half of them in 12 months' time... even the cheapest copies on discogs can sit for years...

DWG Warrior
    ^^^ exactly.

Just because some lunatic lists records for certain prices, doesn’t mean they are worth that much, or will sell close to that amount.

plus with bulk buying, you need bulk discount.

DWG Warrior
    I've run into this a few times, it's so frustrating ... then I think about how hard it would be to sell my collection if I ever decided to. I think the only way to do it would be to bring it all to record shows. No one is gonna show up with cash to buy everything from that guy unless he gets a lot more realistic or he has some craazy rare and desirable records

DWG Warrior
    Even the best collections have some cheapies and filler. For 200 records I wouldn't pay more than £500 tbh.

it all depends whats in the collection you are buying... 200 UK pressings of Nelly records aren't the same as 200 carefully selected 'DWG Poster Joints'!