Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Advice on skipping record

(Not Double Dutch)

I bought a sealed double album from the label through discogs. It jumps once on one of the tracks. After a bit of back and forth and moving beyond Ďnothing we can doí the seller is offering a Ä5 refund (record was around Ä20).

Does that sound reasonable? I could press to return it and they pay the postage but then they might not/PayPal claim etc. Plus they are one of the only sellers with it, and I may want to get more from them in the future!

Itís better than his other solution- I sell it as VG+ (which it isnít) and I rebuy it from him at an unknown cheaper price.

DWG Warrior
    if it's the labels own release surely they should swap it for a copy that doesn't jump or do they all have the same pressing fault?!

You messed with the weights, anti-skating etc, could always try the cigarette butt trick too but don't want to damage it if you're looking to resell it or return it

DWG Warrior
    I’d send it back for a refund. Especially if it is a label selling their own product.

Also, it seems very shifty of the seller to suggest you re-sell it as “VG+”. If everyone selling records online was this dishonest, I am sure we’d all have given up buying records online a long time ago.

Are you able to say what record it is?

DWG Warrior
    I tried it on 3 different turntables, it jumps backwards and forwards at exactly the same spot and it looks (coloured vinyl so hard to tell) like a mark.

He said that he hasn’t had the problem before, but then a) he would and b) some people accept any old shit as long as it’s on teh vionaulz.

Part of me thinks it’s basically defective and I want another copy, and part thinks I can’t be bothered.

It’s Third Sight- IV

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Corridor View Post
    I tried it on 3 different turntables, it jumps backwards and forwards at exactly the same spot and it looks (coloured vinyl so hard to tell) like a mark.

He said that he hasnít had the problem before, but then a) he would and b) some people accept any old shit as long as itís on teh vionaulz.

Part of me thinks itís basically defective and I want another copy, and part thinks I canít be bothered.

Itís Third Sight- IV
    I had much the same issue with a coloured vinyl record from Germany aswell, the first copy had noise while playing and what looked like rubbing on the vinyl, so the guy said I could return it for an exchange, I said one of the three records was OK, so to keep costs down i'll return just two of the vinyl (returned at my cost), when I received the replacements they were exactly the same, it was like he hadn't done any quality control on the TP, he then orders me to return the record as I did not deserve it, considering the LP cost £60 you would expect a quality product, instead all the money seemed to have gone on the packaging instead of the pressing.
    I kept the record as it's the only way of getting the tracks and I had paid for it.

I'm wondering if the pressing plant is the same? if so it would say that, that plant is pretty shite

DWG Warrior
    The three other Records I’ve had on the label have been fine

Although I’m trying to reduce my Amazon purchasing, their returns process does work well. Even HMV’s seems like a pain- you have to return it and buy it again. I have two out of four Bowie albums I bought as part of a bundle that need replacing so not sure how that will work considering individually the records are more expensive.

Quality control on vinyl is shit nowadays (generally speaking) and most labels get away with it because either:

a) people don't even open the records and just keep them as collectors items
    b) people do play them but perhaps not in the same way we do, so can live with some dishing or an edge warp, especially if you have a vinyl clamp
    c) the majority of people can't be arsed to say anything

In fact I'm guessing most labels order sealed records and have them sent straight to their distributor so there isn't even the opportunity to perform any sort of QC outside of the pressing plant's own QC (which in my experience doesn't count for much).

It's the reason I never order sealed records, with the last Baritone release I personally put every copy on my turntable, both sides, to check for warping... and sent back two batches of records because they weren't flat... I get that this is time consuming and I wouldn't have checked every one if my spot checks hadn't shown there to be issues... but with the price of vinyl nowadays I don't think it's too much to demand a flat, skip-free pressing... I fear that until consumers start making more of a fuss about sub-standard product the plants will keep churning it out...

Rant over!

DWG Warrior
    I’ve seen positive reviews for Records that mention it skipped but was an excellent pressing

Maybe vinyl defects are part of the appeal to a certain section of the buying public. Some sort of rustic artisan thing. Odd.

DWG Warrior
    Send it back & swap it!

DWG Warrior
    If it’s the label, they will have more copies. Ask them to open @& test another copy & see if it’s a pressing fault.