Welcome to the DWG Forums.
    DWG Warrior

"dished" and warped vinyl question

Dished being records that have that concave warp that means you can spin it back at 100 mph but on the other hand are super tight and convex on the other side. I have a couple of records like this that play fine and are essentially VG+ or NM but have the aforementioned issue.

I also have a heavily warped (not even dished) Amerikkkas Most Wanted LP that's VG+ and actually plays ok as long as you don't try to cue up the tracks or whatever. i've tried leaving it under some heavy books but did't seem to make a difference.

How would you grade and price things like this on Discogs?

DWG Warrior
    Not sure about official grading for warps but I can confirm that it is possible with certain Bowled records to bend it back into shape by hand! Ive been doing it a lot with 7 scratch weapons which always seem to arrive bowly

DWG Warrior
    I would say grade it normally and then subract one grade for minor warps or subtract 2 grades for more severe warps. If you are doing it on Discogs just state clearly the type of warp each record has and capitalize the word warp for the itchy trigger finger impulse buyers and you'll cover your bases.

I use vinyl flat (the cold method, not the hot) to fix all my warps. I have rescued some records that were warped so badly with an edge warp that I thought I could never play those songs but this took a severe warp and flattened it like a pancake. Doing it the cold way took 1 entire year (set it and forget it) but considering that doing it hot adds white noise to the playback I'd rather just wait and let gravity do it's thing.

Minor warps are fixed in about a month the cold method. Slowly but surely I am repairing all my warped records which the warp effects play, I don't really bother with minor warps as long as the disc plays.

DWG Warrior
    thanks man. Maybe I needed to be a bit more patient with it!