Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree with Werner in that he has some good tracks but the quality of the tracks is down to the production and the other MCs on the tracks.
    Blackdraft of his Disturb N Tha Peace album being a favourite.

Some people just dont have good rap voices and I feel Griff just doent have the voice and if he wasnt a member of P.E. he'd never get signed as a solo artist.

Speaking of his voice it reminds me of the time I was doing my YTS (youth training scheme), Public Enemys second album had just came out and I had to attened collage once a month as part of the scheme, on the course was a guy with a black bomber jacket with a PE patch on the back. So I thought great a fellow hip hoppper so I got talking to him and he didnt know shit about hip hop apart from the It Takes A Nation and a few of the Electro's. He told me he liked the bits on It Takes A Nation that Griff was on as Griff had a "little nigger voice"!
    I couldnt beleive my ears, these days I compleatly desensatised to hearing the N word, but back then I remember being shocked/thrownout by his statment hence the conversation has stuck in my memory since 88. What is a "little nigger voice" anyway!

DWG Warrior
    Always thought it was weird that someone who was in Public Enemy ended up recording for Luke's label and Music Of Life. If PE had came out in the mid 90s Def Jam would've been milking those Flav and Griff solo albums and probably even an SW1s album as much as possible.

I was just ripping a Westwood tape from '99 with Griff on it. Not played it back yet but hoping for tin foil hat gems like this

Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    Always thought it was weird that someone who was in Public Enemy ended up recording for Luke's label and Music Of Life. If PE had came out in the mid 90s Def Jam would've been milking those Flav and Griff solo albums and probably even an SW1s album as much as possible.

I was just ripping a Westwood tape from '99 with Griff on it. Not played it back yet but hoping for tin foil hat gems like this

Im only half half way though this clip but yeah its proper:

tin foil hat.jpg

DWG Warrior
    the part where he says 2Pac was killed because he wouldn't let Quincy Jones gay him up is a favourite

DWG Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by djricochet View Post
    Ah ok never heard the album version, i was talkin bout the 12"
    Oh, I knew the album version was different, but didn't realize it was a vocal remix. Neat.

Quote Originally Posted by francois parker View Post
    Speaking of his voice it reminds me of the time I was doing my YTS (youth training scheme), Public Enemys second album had just came out and I had to attened collage once a month as part of the scheme, on the course was a guy with a black bomber jacket with a PE patch on the back. So I thought great a fellow hip hoppper so I got talking to him and he didnt know shit about hip hop apart from the It Takes A Nation and a few of the Electro's. He told me he liked the bits on It Takes A Nation that Griff was on as Griff had a "little nigger voice"!
    I couldnt beleive my ears, these days I compleatly desensatised to hearing the N word, but back then I remember being shocked/thrownout by his statment hence the conversation has stuck in my memory since 88. What is a "little nigger voice" anyway!
    Ha ha! I think I kinda get what he means, though, because Chuck with his deep booming voice and Flav being Flav, it can get a little cartoonish. Obviously their best records are perfect, but it can be grounding to have someone with a regular voice on the album once in a while, sort of the TR Love to their Ultramagnetics.

I played Disturb N Tha Peace end to end today and really enjoyed it, the skitz were a bit annoying but production was strong and I didnt find Griff half as annoying as I used to. That said I did attempt to play the Hoodratz album end to end yesterday and failed so anything I played was probably going to sound good today.

No, I like music, it's just he's... Griff's too black sounding for me.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy White View Post
    No, I like music, it's just he's... Griff's too black sounding for me.
    Trolling surely? That can't be a thing... Having said that i would describe a lot of white artists that i don't like as sounding too white but it is still a racist thing to say... I mean X Clan were probably the blackest sounding artists ever & they were fantastic!

@djricochet: I was joking. It's a line from American Psycho. At least now we know where you're at racially.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy White View Post
    @djricochet: I was joking. It's a line from American Psycho. At least now we know where you're at racially.
    wow i'm not sure myself, an inverse racist?