Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Hardknocks / don;t call it a comback (yet...)

After wondering for the last 20+ years whatever happened to Hardknocks, I had a very enlightening 45 minute chat with Hardhead yesterday after tracking him down like a minor stalker. He broke down some of the stuff about Wild Pitch and where that left him & Stoneface but mostly we were talking about a comeback of sorts. I know there are at least a handful of us on here who were big fans of the album so I'm gonna chuck some questions out as it'd be good to gauge what sort of response a return would get as we're gonna stay in touch.

* Would you be interested in seeing them perform live if they hit UK / Europe?
    * Knowing the current trend for 7s would you buy reissued singles (like the recent RSD Gangstarr & Showbiz & AG ones)?
    * Would you buy a reissue of the album if it had bonus tunes / unreleased material?
    * Is it fair to say that Live shows by 'Golden Era' (sorry, but you know..) Hip Hop acts get more love in Europe than in UK? I'm basing this on living in Brighton and Main Source having about 50 people show up which to my mind was fucking embarrassing (& not reflection on the show which was dope, nor the promotor. Maybe it was just Brighton...)

DWG Warrior
    Double album if you reissued
    an unreleased ep would be epic.

those gang star 7’s are mind boggling.. cool if they are 5 a pop, but 20 + each is bonkers!
    buy the 12” for less, get a louder pressing that will last longer & HAVE MORE MUSIC on it!

Would you be interested in seeing them perform live if they hit UK / Europe?
    Yes, but I cant see there being many people who would, I think the amount of people into Hardknock is tiny, yep in our hip hop nerd micro-bubble they are a big thing but out of that they are unknown.

Would you buy a reissue of the album if it had bonus tunes / unreleased material?
    I own the original but would buy a reissue if it had some good bonus material.

Knowing the current trend for 7s would you buy reissued singles (like the recent RSD Gangstarr & Showbiz & AG ones)?

I dont buy these re-issue 7s and I personally find the fact there is a market for them mind boggling. That said there is a market for them but I think these DJs want the BIG hip hop classics that can rock a party and I dont think any of the Hardnocks tunes fall into that category.

DWG Warrior
    i wouldn't buy a reissue album if it only has let's say 2or 3 unreleased songs, i can't even remember the last time i've played the original (even if it's a really good album) and if the pressing it's terrible (which would get people to buy the reissue).
    it has been bootlegged a couple of times as well , means there's many people with it in their collection.
    maybe a 7" with some unreleased songs with a limited pressing (100-150 max), but the material has to be dope.
    I think in general that there's a lack of support for golden era shows because over the years people are seeing terrible shows so they have stopped bothering with it unless it's a big name.
    I couldn't make it to the Main source one , but didn't see many peoples at Souls of Mischief either: people who were into this kind of things have families now and there's not much a hip hop scene in Brighton like it used to (if you think that the only hip hop night in a club is run by a bellend who looks like the missing member of a 90s brit pop group you get the idea).
    The groups that still tour are mainly the ones who had post illmatic material in general, so don't think that Hard knocks would have any good following to justify a tour.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djmpfortyfive View Post
    i wouldn't buy a reissue album if it only has let's say 2or 3 unreleased songs, i can't even remember the last time i've played the original (even if it's a really good album) and if the pressing it's terrible (which would get people to buy the reissue).
    it has been bootlegged a couple of times as well , means there's many people with it in their collection.
    maybe a 7" with some unreleased songs with a limited pressing (100-150 max), but the material has to be dope.
    I think in general that there's a lack of support for golden era shows because over the years people are seeing terrible shows so they have stopped bothering with it unless it's a big name.
    I couldn't make it to the Main source one , but didn't see many peoples at Souls of Mischief either: people who were into this kind of things have families now and there's not much a hip hop scene in Brighton like it used to (if you think that the only hip hop night in a club is run by a bellend who looks like the missing member of a 90s brit pop group you get the idea).
    The groups that still tour are mainly the ones who had post illmatic material in general, so don't think that Hard knocks would have any good following to justify a tour.
    Ha ha yeah I know the chump you're talking about. I think we've both called him out for talking shit on Facebook (and for commenting on his own Mixcloud page via fake accounts!). Brighton Hip Hop scene to my mind is thus; 90% of people into hip hop also make it in some form or another, either by DJing (specifically scratch / performance), Producing or MCing and they don't have time for anything else. (I think you and I fall into the other 10%). Apart from Public Enemy, very few acts can fill the Concorde nowadays. Even Pharcyde got down-graded to The Haunt which is a terrible venue acoustically for live Hip Hop.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    Double album if you reissued
    an unreleased ep would be epic.

those gang star 7’s are mind boggling.. cool if they are 5 a pop, but 20 + each is bonkers!
    buy the 12” for less, get a louder pressing that will last longer & HAVE MORE MUSIC on it!
    Yep makes sense. I'm also quite baffled by those recent 7s. The fact they're RSD releases suggests the majors have jumped on this relatively recent fad (Hip Hop 7s) so I'm expecting a lot more next year (via the majors). I saw them going for 13 each on Discogs but that's via Japan so customs and shipping takes them right up. I think an unreleased EP is the right call

DWG Warrior
    Would you be interested in seeing them perform live if they hit UK / Europe?
    Yes, but I cant see there being many people who would, I think the amount of people into Hardknock is tiny, yep in our hip hop nerd micro-bubble they are a big thing but out of that they are unknown.

Yeah I think you're right about that and the bubble can be very deceiving.

I dont buy these re-issue 7s and I personally find the fact there is a market for them mind boggling. That said there is a market for them but I think these DJs want the BIG hip hop classics that can rock a party and I dont think any of the Hardnocks tunes fall into that category.

Yeah that also makes sense. Those recent 7s are all heavy hitters to rock a party - no chin strokers amongst em..! Thanks for your thoughts mate. Much appreciated.

DWG Warrior
    I agree 100% with what francois parker said. I couldn't have put it better.
    "I have no idea what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time" - Dexter Morgan.

DWG Warrior
    * Is it fair to say that Live shows by 'Golden Era' (sorry, but you know..) Hip Hop acts get more love in Europe than in UK? I'm basing this on living in Brighton and Main Source having about 50 people show up which to my mind was fucking embarrassing (& not reflection on the show which was dope, nor the promotor. Maybe it was just Brighton...)
    In the last year or so I've seen flyers for Funkdoobiest and Delinquent Habits playing in London. Not huge venues and god knows what the turnout was like but there must be a market for it. As others have said though, although Hardknocks are held in pretty high regard and have something of a cult following I can't see that transferring into a decent crowd that would warrant a tour. London Hip Hop nights rely on the hipster/nu jack crowd to make up the numbers as the actual "heads" can't be everywhere all the time like they were back in the day. No hipsters know who Hardknocks are. Best bet would be them opening for a more well known legacy artist (Das EFX, LOTUG or something)

DWG Warrior
    I went to the Main Source show and was gobsmacked at the low turnout, especially with it being Brighton. BUT, the sound quality in that venue was SHIT!!! So, how many locals knew this, and stayed away because it. Would the turnout have been better if it was at the Concorde?

The point I'm trying to make, does the venue selected have a big impact on the perceived quality on the act performing?

As for re-issues, if it has unreleased/unheard material, then yes, and please NO 7's!