Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    Double album if you reissued
    an unreleased ep would be epic.

those gang star 7’s are mind boggling.. cool if they are 5 a pop, but 20 + each is bonkers!
    buy the 12” for less, get a louder pressing that will last longer & HAVE MORE MUSIC on it!
    Yep - same. I very rarely buy a reissue and if I do it has to have some kind of bonus. 20 for a Gangstarr 7" I have doubles of on 12" ain't happening. Agree with Stilts that an EP of unreleased stuff would be my preferred option. A double vinyl issue LP with bonus would be cool also but licensing it might be the main issue there.

DWG Warrior
    I don't think I would go out of my way to see Hardknocks live.

The angry monotone flow I can't see being great in a live situation, Hip Hop is 90% shite live to me though.

Would buy a reissue if it had bonus material, the tracks from the 3 Da Hardway 12" for example.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

we spoke this guy a few years ago, didn't have any bonus material back then... the only viable option IMO is an unreleased EP.

Yeah I wouldn't get your hopes up here, we've been in touch with him on and off for years with nothing to show for it... he doesn't appear to have any old material in the vaults and a reissue of the LP would surely be problematic unless licensed properly through Wild Pitch?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    In the last year or so I've seen flyers for Funkdoobiest and Delinquent Habits playing in London. Not huge venues and god knows what the turnout was like but there must be a market for it. As others have said though, although Hardknocks are held in pretty high regard and have something of a cult following I can't see that transferring into a decent crowd that would warrant a tour. London Hip Hop nights rely on the hipster/nu jack crowd to make up the numbers as the actual "heads" can't be everywhere all the time like they were back in the day. No hipsters know who Hardknocks are. Best bet would be them opening for a more well known legacy artist (Das EFX, LOTUG or something)
    Yeah I think Funkdoobiest were in London a few years back as well and the show did pretty well numbers wise. Same crew who bought over LOTUG I think. Agreed though - Hardknocks more niche / cult whereas both LOUTG & Funkdoobiest had big club singles. Delinquent Habits I can't comment on! Did they ever do anything of note?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I went to the Main Source show and was gobsmacked at the low turnout, especially with it being Brighton. BUT, the sound quality in that venue was SHIT!!! So, how many locals knew this, and stayed away because it. Would the turnout have been better if it was at the Concorde?

The point I'm trying to make, does the venue selected have a big impact on the perceived quality on the act performing?

As for re-issues, if it has unreleased/unheard material, then yes, and please NO 7's!
    Yeah the Main Source gig was a real head-scratcher for me. Interesting you say about the Concorde as it could have made the difference. Ultramagnetics sold it out when they were there about 6 years ago.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
    Yep - same. I very rarely buy a reissue and if I do it has to have some kind of bonus. 20 for a Gangstarr 7" I have doubles of on 12" ain't happening. Agree with Stilts that an EP of unreleased stuff would be my preferred option. A double vinyl issue LP with bonus would be cool also but licensing it might be the main issue there.
    Yeah I did ask about the licensing and he seemed confident they owned the rights. An EP of unreleased stuff would also be what I'd be after although if a remastered version of the LP with 3+ new tracks (or the ones from the 3 Da Hardway 12") dropped I'd be tempted

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by raredave View Post
    we spoke this guy a few years ago, didn't have any bonus material back then... the only viable option IMO is an unreleased EP.
    Yeah I think you're right. Out of interest, how did you get hold of him? I only found him through Facebook!

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't get your hopes up here, we've been in touch with him on and off for years with nothing to show for it... he doesn't appear to have any old material in the vaults and a reissue of the LP would surely be problematic unless licensed properly through Wild Pitch?
    Yeah I'm more hopeful than optimistic I suppose. If he does track any old material down (via Stoneface or J-1) should I put him back in touch with you? I'm not gonna be offering to put anything out on vinyl. I just said I'd be happy to join the dots and put him in touch wth people if he wanted

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    I don't think I would go out of my way to see Hardknocks live.

The angry monotone flow I can't see being great in a live situation, Hip Hop is 90% shite live to me though.

Would buy a reissue if it had bonus material, the tracks from the 3 Da Hardway 12" for example.
    ha ha that's true. My ratio of hip hop shows I've really enjoyed is about 20% (and if Public Enemy were out of the equation more like 15%). That said I saw Pharoah Monch at Tonbridge Wells of all places last month and he was great. Best show I've seen for years.

Those 3 Da Hardway tracks are what I'm after too!!