Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

A few questions for those of you that enjoy hip-hop 7"s

Just wondering what those of you who are really digging the ongoing wave of hip-hop 7"s like and don't like about it?

I have seen in other threads that some of you definitely do not like it.

I'm generally into it. I haven't gone crazy to get everything that's released but I think having a lot of the classic 12"s from the 80s and 90s in a shrunken format is pretty cool.

A few questions I do have are:

Would you prefer having an LP version b/w the instrumental or remix, if one exists, or would you rather the remix be done separately and have the remix instrumental on the flip?

Do 7" collectors have a preference regarding centre hole? Does anyone even press little hole 7"s anymore?

And finally, If a classic 12" that didn't have full artwork, sticker only, were to be reissued as a 7" would you rather the 7" just be a scaled down version of the sticker cover or would you rather see artwork that actually exists for that release be used?

Anyone who really wants to have a conversation about this please get in contact with me.

Thanks for your collective input.

DWG Warrior
    7s *sound better so I like them. *Not all obviously, but many do. 45 RPM records sound better and most 7" are pressed at that speed so that has something to do with it. There is something about that size that just sounds chunky and nice compared to the 33 RPM 12" counterparts.

I also like that they are smaller, lighter, and take up less space. They can be easier to DJ with for that reason, no more lugging around huge crates if you want to spin with real records and you don't have to look for the track lines to find a song, each song fits perfectly on one side so no stumbling around in the dark for the track run in.

I also like that they are cheaper. Well that's arguable they used to be cheaper, now that 12" singles are basically non existent (except for indie labels) 45s have taken that role of the meat and potato purchase when you don't want the whole album. New ones usually aren't cheap but some are like Colemine and a few exceptions.

Its a little bit harder to blend and cut and scratch on but once you get used to it I find it's easier every day.

There is a pretty big wave of "Skipless" scratch records being produced and that I don't fully understand. Seems like everyone in the Beat Junkies to Q-Bert and every scratch DJ in between has made numerous 7" scratch tool records. While they do scratch well I find the 12" scratch records easier to work with, more room to get your finger prints on and they seem a bit more stable but I'm sure I could get used to the new 7" scratch tools in time.

Honestly, I have been on a 7" buying kick lately since they have been making a lot of good joints on 7. Mostly modern funk but also some golden age hip hop is being reissued on 7 as well which is cool. I just got a 7" from Hard to Obtain from F5 records, that's one of the many labels embracing the 7.

DWG Warrior
    I like the format, long as the records are cheap, theyre practical : useful as I have a set of pt01s and mini mixer .

I think the beef is mostly at the overpriced stuff especially novelty reissues of already easily obtainable singles

DWG Warrior
    I don't think that many people have a problem with 7"s on here J$, its more the pricing for certain labels and blatant cash in / pointless reissuing in the format (for me anyway). I've never stopped buying 7"s since I was a kid but there are a lot that leave me cold at the moment.

Yup small hole 7"s still being pressed, gives you more artwork space, I don't mind either way but can be annoying when the record slips under the adaptor when djing or if the fits not that great but you get loose small holes too (pause). I guess artwork and inst / remixes depends on the individual record

DWG Warrior
    I prefer 12 inch records but if the only way for me is to get it on 7 inch then I am fine with that as something is better than nothing in my mind.

DWG Warrior
    I buy 7 records with no hesitation, if they contain tracks which are exclusive and / or are not available in any other format on wax; or are re-issues at a bargain price (compared to the rare originals).

7 boxed sets of previously released L.P.s split over 5-6 (or more) 7" records seem utterly pointless to me.

And on the sound quality issue; 45 RPM 7 dont generally sound better that 33 RPM 12 records in my experience, but 45 RPM 12 often do sound better that 33 RPM 12 equivalents, where you can make a direct comparison between them.

DWG Warrior
    yep in theory although at 45, the sound should deteriorate as the needle gets towards the end of the record so a 7" shouldn't sound as good as the first track on a 12", could be cut louder though

Nail on the head with the 7" boxsets TDE, saw the Op doomsday one and love the artwork (and music) but no way would I buy it

DWG Warrior
    the "originals "series which are bootlegs sounds awful compared to the 12" of the same release, bought the umc one out of curiosity and never bought any more from this bootleg label.
    I wonder if the new official releases (like the gangstarr ones) has the same source (original master or CDs?) as the original 12", probably not, so probably won't sound as good.

DWG Warrior
    hip hop 7" should be like this
    R-5189275-1386958759-7289.jpeg.jpg

DWG Warrior
    I gotta reiterate adamantly that 7" 45s sound better (typically, not 100 percent of the time) than their 12" 33 RPM counterparts. I certainly can't say all because there are many factors and it's such an imperfect medium that so much can go wrong but I can say in my personal experience drums sound chunkier, beats thicker, higher definition sound. In a nutshell it's because there is more "data" going past the needle at that faster rate. I definitely can't say that the 7" 45 is better than the 12" 45 but technically if everything is mastered and manufactured right the 45 RPM is the general audiophile's choice for that reason.

For example, I have an original version of Another Green World by Brian Eno on 33 12" LP. Recently got the newly half speed remaster version that just dropped not long ago spread out on 2LP at 45 RPM and it's night and day better than the OG 33.

I did a sound test using something I have every format of (a 12" 33 RPM, a 45 RPM 10", the CD and the original 45RPM 7") with a few of my good friends just to show them how much better the 7" 45 sounded and they all agreed, the little guy sounded best. That is one example only, there is nothing scientific about that observation, it's just my own personal experience and gut feeling with my song of my choice and I realize everyone else is going to have their favorite medium based on their own personal experiences.

For every example I conjure of "better sounding" anyone can conjure an opposing example because frankly there are just so many other potentially negative variables, and in a way all records are different and all ears are different. I gave up long ago trying to get people to listen to "my preferred format" because there's no right or wrong answer and it's really more about common music appreciation that comes with the overall hobby.

I don't mind the 7" box sets and I think part of that is because I have 3 decks hooked up on my mixer so I just keep em all spinning and it's busy work but it's still enjoyable. It would be a pain if you only have one deck hooked up so I get that point completely. But like most of you guys when it comes to full length albums I absolutely prefer a standard 2LP to the 12x7" box though and if I had a choice I'll take the standard 12" albums. Sometimes there is no choice (like the Thundercat Drunk 10" box) so I'll buy those boxes if that is my only physical release purchase option.

Another cool thing about the 7" is they are much cheaper to produce than a 12" record so lots of indie artists and newb labels are making an honest living selling music unavailable on any other physical format. Labels like Cherries and Austin Boogie Crew to name just 2 examples are predominantly 7".

For example, without the 7" I couldn't have THIS killer record by "Computa Games". I'm always looking for throwback vibes like that on labels like SuperJock Records which I've never heard of until seeking that out.

Or here's a funky instrumental horns cover song of Rick James' Mary Jane. That exists on no other format.

Anyways, I've been on a buying kick of 7"s lately and it's underground HQ tunes like that that keep me digging deeper into that small-time market. So I've amassed about 1,100 7"s over the years and I prefer DJing with them now, for me they always blow up the spot.

Almost forgot, check out the Hard 2 Obtain 7" on F5 Records.

Some of you guys have been scooping up all the Show and AG and Gangstarr Japan Record Store Day 7"s so I don't expect I'll be lucky enough to land any of those.
    Last edited by rchecka; 18-05-18 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fixed link