Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Flippers/flipping opinions please.

Of late I've noticed a lot of this going on, i don't mind admitting I've been guilty of doubling up with the intention of selling my spare later on. I don't have a well paid job so it helps with my wax addiction. I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.
    Maybe I'm the scum of the earth.
    "I have no idea what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time" - Dexter Morgan.

https://www.instagram.com/junorpaul/?hl=en

DWG Warrior
    you can't knock the hustle

DWG Warrior
    I don’t have a problem with people buying an extra copy to flip/trade but what boils my piss is people who buy 3,4,5 and 6 copies all because they think they can sell them for a ridiculous mark up (4-6!times the cost the next day). However at the end of the day it’s themselves they are fooling as it creates a false sense of rarity and the Records sit on Discogs forever.
    I’ve bought and sold limited records myself but usually at no more than a maximum of twice the original price.

The way I see it if I was to walk past a charity shop and see a Ron B 12" for 50p I'm not going to leave it for the next man despite already owning a copy... so where do you draw the line, what's acceptable flipping and what's not? Each to their own as far as I'm concerned...

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    The way I see it if I was to walk past a charity shop and see a Ron B 12" for 50p I'm not going to leave it for the next man despite already owning a copy... so where do you draw the line, what's acceptable flipping and what's not? Each to their own as far as I'm concerned...

Thats differnet though as it has a proven “value” multiple copies selling for around the same price, whereas I think what irritates people is when it happens with labels such as Daupe as they reduce the availability of an item then try to sell them for ten times the price before they even have the record. . No one begrudges someone selling a lucky score but flipping a new release at such an inflated rate smacks of greed.

DWG Warrior
    I've found records cheap & sold them for profit. What record digger hasn't?
    I've also left records for someone else to find (to try & gain some record karma)

What bugs me more, is people using Discogs as a price guide to a records value, Especially shop keepers!!
    The amount of crack head pricing that goes on is ridiculous. (DJDAN1, Daupe! ect)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_Mao View Post
    Thats differnet though as it has a proven “value” multiple copies selling for around the same price, whereas I think what irritates people is when it happens with labels such as Daupe as they reduce the availability of an item then try to sell them for ten times the price before they even have the record. . No one begrudges someone selling a lucky score but flipping a new release at such an inflated rate smacks of greed.
    Agreed but I guess my point is there's a huge spectrum in between the two and where do you draw the line... in practice are there any labels other than Daupe where this is even an issue? And let's not forget that there is no guarantee that these records will sell for the listed prices so sooner or later the flippers are going to take a hit... now Daupe have upped their pressing quantities to around 1,000 per release I think some people are in for a very rude awakening as resell prices will be very hard to sustain at those quantities...

DWG Warrior
    We all do it to varying degrees. One man's 6 copies at a six times the original price is another man's 2 copies at double the price.

Personally I don't buy extra copies of limited as I'd rather use the money to buy something else I want to listen to, but I will buy a couple of copies of something super cheap on Amazon and list it on Discogs ALONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE

Horses and roundabouts really

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    I've found records cheap & sold them for profit. What record digger hasn't?
    I've also left records for someone else to find (to try & gain some record karma)

What bugs me more, is people using Discogs as a price guide to a records value, Especially shop keepers!!
    The amount of crack head pricing that goes on is ridiculous. (DJDAN1, Daupe! ect)
    I agree with this. I actually lowkey hate it when shops alphabetize everything, put them in neat sleeves and price via Discogs. It removes all the mystery and fun for me. If I really have to have a record, I'll buy it for Discogs prices but nothing beats dusty bins of records