Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    are there any labels other than Daupe where this is even an issue?
    Iíve seen some other limited releases suffering the same fate and imagine it will be happening in other genres too, itís essentially what has ruined Record.Store Day for a lot of people.
    I donít think anyone begrudges someone making a profit or coming up lucky on a big find, itís the greed and the fact that those buying six copies stop other fans from buying their copy, plus I think itís the number of people doing it, itís not just one or two people, Iíve seen numerous fools on IG flossing their 6 copies of the latest Daupe.
    Itís unhealthy for labels too, letís take Daupe as an example (their ears must be burning!) they may now think they have a fan base that will buy 1000 copies of their releases but when the hype blows over they could end up massively over estimating their market share.

DWG Warrior
    My philosophy is there is no such thing as a flipper only people aware of the concept of supply and demand. A guy who buys two copies for the sake of selling one later is the moral equivalent of the guy who buys 10 copies for the sake of selling 9. He is no more immoral than the guy who intends on selling less copies for a profit. He is taking a bigger risk that those copies will not sell or will take more time to sell so all is fair when you have the money to do so.

Those who complain about flippers as some kind of evil doer are corny, often broke and mad at anything that costs money, and in actuality they are mad at themselves for not buying a demanded record sooner when prices were normal. All's fair with supply and demand and if you got the money you can chose to buy and resell at whatever price you want. Records are a hobby, not life saving pharmaceuticals so bitching about those with the insight to buy more and an ability to make future sales are guilty of nothing more than being wise investors. It doesn't always work out the way they plan and that is the risk one takes in playing these supply and demand guessing games.

Every time RSD comes along, the first thing people complain about are the evil flippers but to me that's just a bunch of crybaby nonsense to bitch about. The rules say, on record store day, the record store owner can only sell one copy per buyer. If they break that rule that is their own damn fault and they could lose the ability to sell if busted doing so. The day after RSD, anything goes so the same guy who wanted 5 copies of whatever can come back and buy the remaining stock of that record. If it was sold out on RSD, that's too bad for the speculator, if there's 3 copies left, all's fair on day 2, he can buy all 3.

I get mad when I miss out on short run records but I don't get mad at the guy who has 10 copies, I get mad at myself for not being on the ball. Dude who has 10 copies will make a little bit more money to feed his family eventually but it's not guaranteed so I don't hate on 'that guy' for taking that risk.

For me I only buy 2 if I want doubles for me. There are too many records that I want and can't afford for me to even try to speculate and put all my eggs in one basket like that. I'd rather just buy only what I need and move on to the next one I "need".

I could never have a real record store because I realize I would constantly be getting high off my own supply. I can't sell records I actually like unless I already have it and buying doubles and triples of what I like is too risky because what I like is often too weird or niche to expect others to buy.

just my thoughts - RSD is complete nonsense, every release is available following the event, and people should be able to flip records if they so wish...

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by raredave View Post
    just my thoughts - RSD is complete nonsense, every release is available following the event, and people should be able to flip records if they so wish...
    I agree people are free to do as they wish and RSD is complete bollocks, however people are equally justified in their feelings and opinions on others actions and I think overall it creates an unstable market which is unhelpful for labels as they may find it hard to gauge the numbers of their real fan base.
    I see it similar to the housing market, hype times create a bubble which eventually bursts, some items retain an inherent value whilst others crash down to their “real” unhyped price, we’ve seen happen in recent times with both the mania for 90’s hip hop (not always rare but not as easy to score in the U.K.) prior to the internet/Discogs/eBay being in common use and following the internet explosion with Random Rap both genres had moments when pretty much any old tat could be sold for way past it’s worth then the hype passes and prices settle to a more “normal” range.
    Personally I’ve been fortunate and haven’t missed out on any of the limited releases I’ve wanted over they years as I’m fortunate enough to be blessed with enough time to sit around waiting for things to drop at obscure times (illustrated by my posting of this at 4.30am ha ha), however My opinion is formed by the wish to have labels that will stand the test of time and I don’t think boom and bust economics lead to this.
    Last edited by Imperial_Mao; 14-06-18 at 03:35 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Glad i started this off, makes for some very interesting reading. I've never and would/could never buy 6 copies of anything. I noticed that Daupe have a "one per customer" policy ( maybe that's just the obi's though? which i think is as good thing. As for coming up on something in the field i have no guilt as it happens so rarely for me.
    "I have no idea what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time" - Dexter Morgan.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by raredave View Post
    To be fair there are times when shit does sell out due to high demand. But yes, for the most part you are right though, many RSDs are available for a long time after (sometimes years after) or they are reissued in Non-RSD LP shortly after RSD as we're seeing with that CMW. That shit completely defeats the original purpose of RSD.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by rchecka View Post
    To be fair there are times when shit does sell out due to high demand. But yes, for the most part you are right though, many RSDs are available for a long time after (sometimes years after) or they are reissued in Non-RSD LP shortly after RSD as we're seeing with that CMW. That shit completely defeats the original purpose of RSD.
    I know as far as RSD goes, whenever there's a crate in a store marked that way, I almost always skip it. But yeah, as far as flipping, I haven't participated in it, i'd much rather buy two if I need them for performing than some perceived financial gain.