Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Came across Midnight Diner last week, been enjoying it a lot. Watching the OG Japanese series' before the Tokyo Stories Netflix owned series'.

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    This starts next Friday at 10pm. Terrible song for the first episode but otherwise good choices imho.

Episode 1 KanYe West - Jesus Walks

Episode 2 Kendrick Lamar - Alright

Episode 3 Run-D.M.C - Rock Box

Episode 4 OutKast - Elevators

Episode 5 MC Shan - The Bridge

Episode 6 Queen Latifah & Monie Love - Ladies First

it's hosted by Questlove & Black Thought, which means it also runs the risk of turning into Questlove namedropping and talking about himself for 1/4 of each episode.

Jesus Walks is a brilliant song, it's too easy to hate on Kanye. Besides The Bridge, that's the best song on the list.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Slim View Post
    Came across Midnight Diner last week, been enjoying it a lot. Watching the OG Japanese series' before the Tokyo Stories Netflix owned series'.

Thanks for the tip, this is really nice.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MONEY TOBE$ View Post
    Jesus Walks is a brilliant song, it's too easy to hate on Kanye. Besides The Bridge, that's the best song on the list.
    Nah.

And I like old KanYe, but that song is just an unfortunate case over over egging the pudding in every department.

DWG Warrior
    If you had to pick 6 key songs in tha histree uv Da kulcha would any of those be on your list though?

DWG Warrior
    Jesus Walks better than Outkast? Cmon son. Golddigger would have been a better Kanye choice or Through the Wire.

Ladies First is a tune and obvious why they picked it.

I hate Rock Box but it was a game changer as it was the first Rap song played on commercial radio rotation. ( not counting Rappers Delight which was really a novelty disco record).

Questlove along with Henry Rollins please fuck off and never be talking heads on any music shows ever again.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    ^^^ I concur.

All Falls Down should have been the KanYe choice because that song really was a game-changer of that era in presenting a rapper who was conflicted about capitali$m in a way which was funny but still real.

(It's also the best single from the first album imho. Slow Jamz is disqualified because that's Twista's song, natch.)

Otherwise, I love all the other songs on the show. A series on the BBC breaking down Elevators, The Bridge, and Ladies First - that's what I pay my licence fee for!
    Last edited by BB; 26-01-21 at 10:03 AM.

DWG Warrior
    All Falls Down is a banger!!!

DWG Warrior
    its a decent selection in terms of covering styles, eras and regions without anything too obvious. Last thing we need is another appraisal of The Message, Illmatic or Nation of Millions.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    its a decent selection in terms of covering styles, eras and regions without anything too obvious. Last thing we need is another appraisal of The Message, Illmatic or Nation of Millions.
    Yeah, I'd only be interested in one on The Message if it were to focus on Duke Bootee being rewritten out of the song's history.

80s songs which deserve episodes in series 2:

Doug & Rick - La Di Da Di
    Extended episode about Schoolly D's - P.S.K and its influence on Ice-T's 6 In The Morning
    The Showboys - Drag Rap which segues into how it inspired New Orleans Bounce
    Eric B & Rakim - Eric B Is President
    Last edited by BB; 26-01-21 at 11:21 AM.