Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Episode 1 KanYe West - Jesus Walks

Episode 2 Kendrick Lamar - Alright

Episode 3 Run-D.M.C - Rock Box

Episode 4 OutKast - Elevators

Episode 5 MC Shan - The Bridge

Episode 6 Queen Latifah & Monie Love - Ladies First

A really interesting choice of track, well done to those involved for not just choosing the usual suspects.

The only track on the list I'm not familiar with is Kendrick Lamar/Alright as I dont know any of his work.

I think Rock Box is a great choice, as I love the track and the amount of music folk I meet who think 'rock guitars' in rap didn't exist till Walk This Way.

Playing Jesus Walks right now for the first time in many many years and its a killer track, but I could really do without ever hearing it again, not that Ive heard it to death, I think BB is right and it was just over egged and Ive had my fill of it. Spaceship in my joint on that album, love it to bits. Talking about this reminds me of the time I saw Kanya live in Glasgow around the time College Dropout was released, Kanye was incredible live, just him and A-Trac on the decks if I remember right, no big production but still incredible.

Ladies First is a great choice also, its very 'off the time' and reminds me of how in that era with so much Rap (and dance in general) getting into the charts you could go to a proper 'townie' venue and still hear some great music back then, and Im from Plymouth, we only had Townie venues.

And the fact that Shan is on the Beeb talking about The Bridge in 2020 is a win. Also Ive kind of warmed to Shan (as a personality) in recent months as I've heard a few interviews where he doesn't come across as a total knobber/nutter.

DWG Warrior
    I meant over egging the pudding in the sense that it's maximalist KanYe with all the orchestration and instrumention on the song.

I'm more a fan of minimalist KanYe, which is why I've always prefered the o.g sample versions of Hey Mama and Home to the redone versions with the instrumentation.

Basically, producer/rapper KanYe >>>>>>>> bells & whistles I'm An Artiste KanYe where every song has 4 different production credits and an orchestra breakdown.
    Last edited by BB; 26-01-21 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    I meant over egging the pudding in the sense that it's maximalist KanYe with all the orchestration and instrumention on the song.
    Yeah, I get you man.

DWG Warrior
    In other news, the cult movies episode of Mark Kermode's Secrets Of Cinema last night was great.

BBC4 stays winning

DWG Warrior
    Alright is my favourite Kendrick song ever and Jesus Walks is one of my least favourite songs on College Dropout, but I enjoyed the KanYe episode more than the Kendrick one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I just preferred that era of KanYe/Roc-A-Fella and all the behind-the-scenes footage . The Kendrick episode was a little heavy on his winning Grammys and Pulitzers for my liking.

KanYe's episode also reminded me of Rhymefest and David Cameron having beef

DWG Warrior
    Enjoyed the Rock Box and Elevators episodes. Loadsa footage I'd not seen before, watertight arguments to why both songs were game-changers, and a buncha good anecdotes.

D.M.C is such a likeable guy - loved seeing him praising the genius of Larry Smith.

L.A Reid, on the other hand, revealed himself to be utterly clueless and it's a miracle OutKast were able to have the career they had with him as their label boss.

Consequently spent today listening to 80% Run-D.M.C and OutKast.

I really enjoyed Episode 6 Queen Latifah & Monie Love - Ladies First
    It could have done with more Monie in it, she had hardly any screen time and the last 10 minutes were painful when it just focused on the relationship between Latifa and her mum, I can understand that it did have a place in the narrative but way to much of the last 10 minutes were spent in sentimental mode. Bit overall it was excellent .

Shakim sounds like an interesting guy, I never knew much about him to be honest and when he appeared on the front of the Roll Wit Tha Flava album I did think "whos this guy". In this program they mention how he sorts out situations, I don't know if that's though muscle or negotiation skills .

The Run DMC one was great also, they managed to make it informative/entertaining and like most of you I have probably seen the group featured in documentaries and their story told again and again since way back when.
    Last edited by francois parker; 10-02-21 at 09:43 PM.

Only watched Outkast so far but really enjoyed it, I have such a soft spot for Southerplayalistic... and so really enjoyed how the majority of the focus was on pre-Elevators... I was initially confused as to why they picked Elevators but they make a strong case for it so who am I to argue... I guess the point is it's not about the best songs, it's about game changers, and rightly or wrongly they're calling out Elevators as the song that brought Southern rap into the mainstream consciousness which was a game-changing moment in hip-hop...

DWG Warrior
    The only thing missing from the OutKast episode was noting Benz Or Beamer being one of the singles from the New Jersey Drive soundtrack in 1995 must have helped break them outside the south.

I imagine that was the first time a lotta people heard OutKast - it was certainly my introduction to them.

DWG Warrior
    Ted Lasso on Apple TV or Disney (can't remember) has a Biz Markie beat boxing joke & end credit music 'make the music with yo mouth'

Also features music by Onyx, A Tribe Called Quest etc

Program itself is soft cheese, like a Philadelphia sandwich with a football dip.