Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

serious talk: Chelsea Russell / Section 127 of the 2003 Communications Act / Snap Dog

This all happened a few months ago but there is her 2nd hearing on the 2nd August so it will be in the news again.

please look at the following if you have time, especially the last link:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...yrics-14543694

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-43816921

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite...0#.W0SDfCNrgy5

So how do you guys feel, could it have been you in her place? Have you ever posted rap lyrics on the internet including the word 'nigga'?
    Im not sure if I have but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if I have, I've quoted lyrics over the years and I doubt I censored them of N Words if there were any in the actual lyrics I was quoting.
    What about posting a song title Nigga For Hire its a song we all love, am I breaking Section 127 of the 2003 Communications Act with what I just typed? If so then so is Discogs, so is any retailer selling the record online. Of course that is just one example the list will be endless.

I have written to my MP about Section 127 of the 2003 Communications Act, this law is crazy they are not taking context into account. He did reply with a very wishy washy response but I will be on to him again.

If anyone has been following this id like to hear what you think about it all.
    And be careful next time you quote some lyrics guys.
    Last edited by francois parker; 10-07-18 at 09:59 AM. Reason: fixing link.

DWG Warrior
    Was the girl who posted the lyrics black?
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    How are lyrics about taking drugs, drinking, fucking, killing & robbing relevant to a 13 year old being killed in a road accident?

Quote Originally Posted by djricochet View Post
    How are lyrics about taking drugs, drinking, fucking, killing & robbing relevant to a 13 year old being killed in a road accident?
    I never quite understood that bit myself, and wondered am I missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    Was the girl who posted the lyrics black?
    I dont know.
    Im guessing not, as Im sure there would have been a case made about the culture of using the word within ones own community culture and we all know n***a does get used with-in elements of the black community.

Russell’s trial came about because Dominique Walker, a PC in Merseyside Police’s hate-crime unit, considered Snap Dogg’s language to be offensive ‘to her as a black woman and to the general community’.

If she posted the lyics as a tribute to the dead kid or not, I dont care she quoted words from a song she likes on her Instagram profile, and that is now a crime? And becuase one PC found it offensive it goes to court and leads to a conviction.
    Well were do we draw the line, what if someone posts a line from a song with Cube talking bout killing crackers? Is that "grossly offensive" under Section 127? I dont see how it cant be, if one person finds it offensive its a punishable crime? Thats just crazy to me.

Here is a link to the CPS reporting of the case.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/mersey-cheshi...instagram-post

So its now a hate crime to post such lyrics.
    This is just nuts.
    We are always reading about rises in hate crime but if this kind of thing is classed as a hate crime these days then its no surprise they are going up! That said I want to make it clear Im not making a mockery or joke of people who need to use the hate crime laws, I had to threaten to contact the police myself last year due to the local school failing to deal with racism against my son, but this Chelsea Russell case makes a mockery of hate crimes!

DWG Warrior
    Basically black people can drop N bombs and whitey can't.

If you quote lyrics including it you should censor it if you are not black.

However this case is a shit show, maybe educating the girl about why it's wrong instead of prosecuting her for her ignorance might have been more useful.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

update from Chelsea Russell's legal team.

"Yes it was uploaded as a tribute to a young boy by the name of Frankie Murphy aged 13 who was killed tragically on a motorcycle accident. He has the same lyrics as a status on his Facebook account at the time he died. His family and friends shared the lyrics as a tribute after his death and this was adopted by lots of youths within the Merseyside area in the days leading up to the funeral. Chelsea herself did not know Frankie personally but knew his sister through friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    Basically black people can drop N bombs and whitey can't.

If you quote lyrics including it you should censor it if you are not black.
    I know Chelsea's leagal team are looking for "experts" on Urban Music to help with the case, but I think any they get will basicly say what you said above (and also agree the the case is a shit show).