Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    I would rather hear any of these songs than T.R.O.Y, Jayou, Ante Up or Scenario.
    I had The Choice Is Yours (Revisited) in my personal canon of Overplayed 90s Classics That I NEVER Need To Hear Again until I came across this video recently and it reminded me why I love the song:

2:19 for the breakdown.
    Last edited by BB; 06-08-18 at 11:01 AM.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    I have most of these records stated and play most of them reguarly, what I find strange is the title POP Rap, persoanlly I don't consider most these to be Pop, just generic rap for the time, with the exception of Kriss Kross - Jump, DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince - Summertime & Run Dmc - Walk this Way, the rest are just generic rap records that started to appeal to other people, making them popular, but not purely made for the Pop charts

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    Jump Around
    Rappers Delight
    Push It
    Walk This Way
    Summertime
    Jump
    Can I Kick It

add on. you know the ones

If you DJ it's one thing, but if you don't do you ever play them or still like them? Did you ever like them? For me it's cool if you hear them in a non-rap better-than-nothing context (shit radio station, wedding, sub par bar/club, etc) but I'm guessing no one here gets home and throws these on, or has them on the playlist for the morning commute. I don't play out anymore so have little use for them but my collection would seem weird without them.
    Own all of them on wax, either from the 12" or from the LP. On the same page as you....not tracks I would throw on at home or in the car. The only exception would be if I was playing Tribe's album, I wouldn't press skip over Can I Kick It, and I usually throw on Summertime once every summer.....kind of a start-off-the-season thing I do every year. I did genuinely like each of those tracks at one point in time (i.e. when they came out), but like everybody else here, they got so overplayed that I put them at the back of the crate.

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    I had The Choice Is Yours (Revisited) in my personal canon of Overplayed 90s Classics That I NEVER Need To Hear Again until I came across this video recently and it reminded me why I love the song:

2:19 for the breakdown.
    BASS DROP!

fms.jpg

DWG Warrior
    Jump Around - nope
    Rappers Delight - nope
    Push It - nope
    Walk This Way - nope
    Summertime - nope
    Jump - nope
    Can I Kick It - yep

Like you say, it's kinda cool to hear them in a "non-rap better-than-nothing context"
    I was a little distraught hearing lord Finesse play out Jump Around a few years back, when he toured the UK. I mean, all his music knowledge & collection, THAT'S the tune he chooses??

Jump Around (really original production let down by shit but catchy lyrics, never want to hear it again,I have never played it out)

Rappers Delight
    (Amazing track but never ever need to hear it again, played to death in the clubs, played it to death myself but its a handy record for toilet breaks, even popped home whilst it was on once (no joke).

Push It (Hated it since the moment I heard it, I loved Salt & Pepa at the time and I Am Down was doing the rounds and I loved it, then I heard Push It and they went downhill from there. I would never play this record out in a million years)

Walk This Way (Hate the track, love the drumbreak, never played it out)

Summertime (Dope track, not heard it played out much, would I play it out....maybe but I never have yet)

Jump (Its an OK track, never been the biggest fan but is OK. Think I might have played a remix of it out once.)

Can I Kick It (Hate this track but love 90% of the Tribe album, never played it out never will, DJs still play it out though and they get the gas face).

I own all the records apart from Jump (got a remix of it on another 12" though)
    Last edited by francois parker; 07-08-18 at 11:28 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Jump >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jump Around.

Fuck that plastic-paddy Everlast.

Insane in the brain Not a fan, never played it out and I dont think I heard it much in hip hop clubs but defo got played in Indie joints

concrete schoolyardGreat bit of rap, played to death in Hip Hop and Indie clubs, played it out countless times myself, never want to hear it again

It takes two Dope track, played to death (by myself and every other DJ) but maybe still has a flicker of life left in it.

It’s like that (remix)Sucks, if a DJ plays this out its some never forgive action. I do not own this record.

DWG Warrior
    Of course.

Next question.

DWG Warrior
    Jump Around - no .. annoys me tbh.
    Rappers Delight - yes ... never play it but its a great track.
    Push It - no .. would never play it either.
    Walk This Way - no .. never liked this crossover rap rock stufff.
    Summertime - no .. always liked it but never picked it up.
    Jump - no .. don't mind it but don't really need to own a copy.
    Can I Kick It - yes .. atcq = best hip hop group