Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    From experience I've found that 5 test presses are standard for pressing plants to run to approve the quality. They will press as many as you ask for though at a cost. Nowadays it's sensible to ask for a few extra to sell and help towards costs but back in the day the industry wasn't basing the sale of 5 or 10 tests as necessary. The 90's - 00's tests for the likes of Busta were no doubt in fairly large quantities going on availability.

As an addition - the industry sees a run of 500 or less as a promo run so that must be an industry standard number of promo's to press before going with the main run of a few thousand at a time. Also if you run 500 or less you're not likely to suffer sample clearance problems - possibly for that reason.

DWG Warrior
    Some labels might not have done test presses at all (obviously a risk if it's cut badly) you can order as many or few as you want so could be 1 copy or 1000's, still seen more Ultra's Make it Happen TP's without the inst or remix than regular releases and Black Sheep Flavour of the Month 12", some got booted though so be careful

DWG Warrior
    Those Busta ones are just promos made to look like TPs. WEA did that for a lot of releases around that time.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    Those Busta ones are just promos made to look like TPs. WEA did that for a lot of releases around that time.
    Never knew it was on purpose, that's cool. They definitely don't have the same font as the actual 90s WEA Test Presses

DWG Warrior
    weird, it's on discogs as a test pressing & the promo looks the same as the final release

DWG Warrior
    "To Da Break" by Mad Flava it's like 2k right ?

DWG Warrior
    This thread has both made me realise how many I own and sparked a curiosity in me about collecting a few more on the cheap side. Another tangent of collecting has opened up.
    "I have no idea what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time" - Dexter Morgan.

https://www.instagram.com/junorpaul/?hl=en

DWG Warrior
    I used to always see OC - Times up & Black Sheep - Flavour of the month test presses
    There must be hundreds out there!!

DWG Warrior
    Personally, as long as a tp doesn't have an extra tp-only track that is dope too boot, i'm not that interested in them.

DWG Warrior
    I like them, especially the Black Moon ones.