Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Will De La Soul be getting paid for the VMP reissues?

As you may know VMP have announced they will be re-issuing "3 Ft High" and "Is Dead" in March 2019.

Been seeing a few posts online from De La, talking Tommy Boy blocking sale of their catalogue "digitally" online, so in my mind this also begs the question as to whether they will be getting paid anything from the VMP releases as well.

Making sure the artists get paid (something at least) has always been an important consideration for me, when deciding whether or not to support new releases (especially on the limited front).......so I wonder if VMP has clarified whether De La will be getting remunerated anything for their records getting reissued via their label?

DWG Warrior
    Is this not a question of what was signed up at the time? Admittedly, they may have been shit on, but if the contracts suggest that Tommy Boy have ownership they can surely do what they like.

Doesn't make it right, but perhaps Tommy Boy have done nothing wrong(legally, not necessarily morally)

DWG Warrior
    ^^

**2Pac voice** "Look at De La Soul!"

As supportive as I am of De La on this I do find it a bit odd that everyone seems to be rallying behind De La on this one example and completely ignoring every other artist that's been reissued or bootlegged over the last 30 years:

- do any of us know what Special Ed made from Get On Down's reissue?
    - how much did Goodie Mob get from their VMP release?
    - did anyone pause to think that the new Schoolly D 45 is most likely a bootleg before pulling the trigger?

I would suggest that De La are probably doing better than most with their (admittedly miserly) 10% cut yet nobody seems to be making a fuss about all those other artists...

Good luck to them in fighting Tommy Boy for a better cut but let's not forget that this is just the music industry being the music industry and there are many out there getting screwed way more than De La...

Just my 2 cents!

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    As supportive as I am of De La on this I do find it a bit odd that everyone seems to be rallying behind De La on this one example and completely ignoring every other artist that's been reissued or bootlegged over the last 30 years:
    Shaker, I am with you on this (publishing rights expire after a set time).

But I guess the question came to me, because De La Soul seem to have been concentrating on the “digital” aspect in their complaints over the last few days.

I wondered if they were aware of the VMP projects that were just advertised (which I assume are 5,000+ pressings?) – the timing seems more than a coincidence.

VMP are printing a much higher output of records than the “pure” publishing labels (too many labels to mention, you said one, at least in your post).

Though I guess there is never much “margin” (given the cost of bringing stuff out).

It should not be forgotten as well, that a couple of years ago, De La Soul (I assume) made their “whole” digital catalogue available online "for free" for a few days.

If it was them, the current complaint seems a bit strange.

If it wasn’t then, well, I can see why they’d be pissed off.

A strange situation…..

I heard through the grapevine recently (before the De La posts on instagram) that Tommy Boy is going to hop on
    the 7" boxset bandwagon for De La's 30th Anniversary.

It's gonna be hard not to cop it... really hard.

DWG Warrior
    They did sign the Tommy contract. SMH

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post

- do any of us know what Special Ed made from Get On Down's reissue?
    - how much did Goodie Mob get from their VMP release?
    - did anyone pause to think that the new Schoolly D 45 is most likely a bootleg before pulling the trigger?

I would suggest that De La are probably doing better than most with their (admittedly miserly) 10% cut yet nobody seems to be making a fuss about all those other artists...

Good luck to them in fighting Tommy Boy for a better cut but let's not forget that this is just the music industry being the music industry and there are many out there getting screwed way more than De La...

Just my 2 cents!
    ^^^this! 100%
    the #tommyboycott team didn't pay much attention when gza said "tommy ain't my muthafuckin boy" 22 years ago

DWG Warrior
    From VMP:

An important note about De La Soul

Like all of you we have been distressed by the recent developments between De La Soul and their label regarding compensation around the streaming of their catalog. While our vinyl reissues have the full support of the artists and fall under different deal terms, we nonetheless feel compelled to help ensure our projects are having a positive and fair impact on the artists. We have been in discussions with De La Soul & their management to ensure we can support them both presently and in the coming months. We built our company in order to work with the artists we love and ensure they can live off their craft.

Buy vinyl, go to shows, buy merch and support the artists who make life worth living.