Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59
  1. #51
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,501
    Interesting, I'll look at his site more and see how much a courier would be. I don't mind paying a bit if I know the person is good and it will really sort out by decks for years to come.

  2. #52
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by whosaidjazz View Post
    Interesting, I'll look at his site more and see how much a courier would be. I don't mind paying a bit if I know the person is good and it will really sort out by decks for years to come.
    Technics Tech Tips on Facebook is one of Richies groups... I know he's been flat out servicing decks all the way through lockdowns.

  3. #53
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by boogie down pyjamas View Post
    I used Stantons for maybe about 17 years - 500 and 680. I switched to Shure M44 G around 8 years ago. I’ve gone through so many needles in that time (compared to the Stantons) and I definitely use them less frequently for listening/scratching than I did back then. Someone remind me - if I buy the Jico replacements - is it the same needle for M44-7 and M44-g? I’ve got the g.

    I’ve got a few issues that need sorting - the thread has locked up on my Technics height adjustment, so my decks need servicing. Anyone know anywhere reputable in the North West of England? I think I’m too inexperienced with electrical stuff to have a go myself.

    Also, I’ve bought a new mixer - a Rane Seventy. I’m having some issues with hum and pops through my speaker (I can’t hear them through the cue on the headphones). Is it likely to be an earthing issue (or static maybe)? Or is it an issue with the speakers maybe (KRK Rokit 6)? I don’t run anything else through the system currently.

    Is it worth getting any mods done to the turntables - the internal earthing and upgraded cabling - I assume that’s a sensible upgrade.

    Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated.
    You should try hooking up something other than a turntable to the line-in/aux on your mixer, and see if the hum is still there. If it is, then it may not have anything to do with the grounding of the turntables.
    Also, try hooking up your mixer to a stereo instead of the active-powered Rokit 6's. If the hum disappears, it could have something to do with the connection to your Rokits. Were you using the Rokit's with the old mixer? I'm assuming you used the same 1/4" cables?
    Also, have you moved the location of your DJ setup? In older houses, some specific outlets aren't properly grounded within the wall (or the ground connection may have degraded).
    If it persists, and the mixer is still new enough, I'd exchange it for a new one just in case, and try to see if that works. You may want to do this anyway to be extra safe, with something that expensive.
    Last edited by djfilthyrich; 28-01-21 at 10:38 AM.

  4. #54
    It is an older property. Coincidentally, the electrics are being redone next weekend. I did move my turntables when I bought the new mixer, so I’ve switched to a different socket. I wonder if that might be a factor. I’ll check that out.

    I upgraded my cables to some good quality balanced XLRs a few months before the Rane arrived and they worked fine with the old mixer. They seemed to make a noticeable difference to sound quality too. I’m usually shite at hearing differences in audio, so I was surprised that it seemed to have such a positive impact on the listening experience.

    Thanks for the informative reply. It’s much appreciated.

  5. #55
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by boogie down pyjamas View Post
    It is an older property. Coincidentally, the electrics are being redone next weekend. I did move my turntables when I bought the new mixer, so I’ve switched to a different socket. I wonder if that might be a factor. I’ll check that out.

    I upgraded my cables to some good quality balanced XLRs a few months before the Rane arrived and they worked fine with the old mixer. They seemed to make a noticeable difference to sound quality too. I’m usually shite at hearing differences in audio, so I was surprised that it seemed to have such a positive impact on the listening experience.

    Thanks for the informative reply. It’s much appreciated.

    No prob. Which XLR cables did you buy? I'm looking to switch from RCAs to XLRs too

  6. #56
    I bought Oyaide Neo D+ from Djkit.com. They’re the flat cables that don’t get twisted.

  7. #57
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    330
    Woof woof.......look what Turntable Lab in NYC selling some deadstock Shure's- https://www.turntablelab.com/product...deadstock-m447

    Limited to 2 per customer :-O

  8. #58
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dingwall, Highlands
    Posts
    2,223
    Bloody hell what a start the year?.
    "I have no idea what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time" - Dexter Morgan.

    https://www.instagram.com/junorpaul/?hl=en

  9. #59
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    bury, lancashire
    Posts
    5,586
    Quote Originally Posted by djabstract View Post
    Woof woof.......look what Turntable Lab in NYC selling some deadstock Shure's- https://www.turntablelab.com/product...deadstock-m447

    Limited to 2 per customer :-O
    robbing bastards!!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •