Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    not used mine yet! bought them over 2 months ago...

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by francois parker View Post
    I hear this but not sure I believe it, as far as I'm aware Jico are a small high end company so do they have the time/manpower/incentive to knock out a second cheaper brand? Maybe? I've had a look on some audiophile forum and nobody seems to really know.

Anyways Im here using a fresh out the box Tonar stylus, its a Tonar 901-DE which is a replacement Stylus for Shure M97XE Cartridge.
    Now this week I'm also tried out a fresh out the box original Shure stylus for the M97XE .
    And I got to say I cant tell the difference, the Tonar sounds as good as the Shure, Id defo buy another, in fact I might.
    I’m in need of n44-G and n97xE replacements myself and quite disheartened by what I’ve read about aftermarket alternatives, including Tonar. I haven’t tried any yet. Jico seems to be the safest but also priciest bet taking into account shipping & Customs – not sure if a DJ stylus like the 44-G or 44-7 is worth it. Thanks for reporting on the 901-DE, I’ve put my 97xe aside until I decide what to do with it – settle for a generic replacement or go for an upgrade. Thakker (EU) and LP Gear (US) seem to offer decent (?) solutions too.

DWG Warrior
    Any further thoughts/ feedback on what the best replacement Shure stylus is then? My 44G’s are giving up the fight and need changing soon...

Heard much better reviews on the Ortofon’s now, so is the scratch Mk2 the way to go and drop the Shure completely? Happy to try something new!

Thanks in advance for any extra help!

I used Stantons for maybe about 17 years - 500 and 680. I switched to Shure M44 G around 8 years ago. I’ve gone through so many needles in that time (compared to the Stantons) and I definitely use them less frequently for listening/scratching than I did back then. Someone remind me - if I buy the Jico replacements - is it the same needle for M44-7 and M44-g? I’ve got the g.

I’ve got a few issues that need sorting - the thread has locked up on my Technics height adjustment, so my decks need servicing. Anyone know anywhere reputable in the North West of England? I think I’m too inexperienced with electrical stuff to have a go myself.

Also, I’ve bought a new mixer - a Rane Seventy. I’m having some issues with hum and pops through my speaker (I can’t hear them through the cue on the headphones). Is it likely to be an earthing issue (or static maybe)? Or is it an issue with the speakers maybe (KRK Rokit 6)? I don’t run anything else through the system currently.

Is it worth getting any mods done to the turntables - the internal earthing and upgraded cabling - I assume that’s a sensible upgrade.

Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated.

DWG Warrior
    1. Jico seems to be an option although shipping becomes a concern.

2. Hum's and Pops - could be your ground wire but I would suggest having them serviced. I don't think that sound this would be result of your speaker or poor connection to the speaker (more likely the table/cart/needle).

3. Mods for 1200 - Like you indicated, internal grounding and RCA replacements are the option to extend the life of the table. 7 years ago, I was getting a poor signal from one of my 12's and it resulted in upgrading the tonearm. You could also upgrade the popup light to an LED (also a good option).

Abs

Quote Originally Posted by boogie down pyjamas View Post
    I used Stantons for maybe about 17 years - 500 and 680. I switched to Shure M44 G around 8 years ago. I’ve gone through so many needles in that time (compared to the Stantons) and I definitely use them less frequently for listening/scratching than I did back then. Someone remind me - if I buy the Jico replacements - is it the same needle for M44-7 and M44-g? I’ve got the g.

I’ve got a few issues that need sorting - the thread has locked up on my Technics height adjustment, so my decks need servicing. Anyone know anywhere reputable in the North West of England? I think I’m too inexperienced with electrical stuff to have a go myself.

Also, I’ve bought a new mixer - a Rane Seventy. I’m having some issues with hum and pops through my speaker (I can’t hear them through the cue on the headphones). Is it likely to be an earthing issue (or static maybe)? Or is it an issue with the speakers maybe (KRK Rokit 6)? I don’t run anything else through the system currently.

Is it worth getting any mods done to the turntables - the internal earthing and upgraded cabling - I assume that’s a sensible upgrade.

Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.

I just need to find somewhere reputable to get them serviced and upgraded.

DWG Warrior
    Thanks for the reply.

Exactly what I need but struggling to find someone local.

DWG Warrior
    Thanks for the reply.

don't know how you would get them to him D, but Rico (as in Kool DJ Rico from the No Fakin days) services decks and other electronic music equipment. he is based in Todmorden these days though.

i keep meaning to sort it out to get him to service mine, i think they desparately need it after 25 years hard labour.

DWG Warrior
    In the first lockdown I shipped my 1210 (I don't dj) down to Richie at https://www.technics-service.co.uk, he keeps all oem parts in stock. I got my deck serviced and got rca cable upgraded to a oe Technics gold plated lead. I know Richie won't do the internal ground mod, I can't remember exactly what he said but he's an advocate for keeping the ground as it is.

DWG Warrior
    Yeah, internal grounding may not be a good idea, it would probably affect the audio signal. Detailed info is available online. The way I see it, it only makes sense that the manufacturer had a solid reason for isolating that wire.

RE: VTA thread stuck, I fixed it myself with no prior knowledge / experience. Just a bunch of screws to remove and some greasing before you put everything back together. Time-consuming though.