Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Exclamation 1980s - early 1990s - West Coast Unreleased

The Parts Unknown release , Stonesthrow's few bits (Arabian Prince / Peanut Butter Wolf Tapes /Charizma / Precious & Passion /Chunky A), and that great boxset by The Egyptian Lover, aside; are there any other unreleased West Coast projects from this period.

(just remembered the ESP/Alkaholics demos).

There has to be gold in them hills but the unreleased Hip Hop music cottage industry (respect!) seems to love the East Coast. Is that the main reason for a lack of product? Or are the artists harder to reach? Or customers only like East Coast?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 15-03-19 at 06:39 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    bit of a left coast fan, so i've noticed the lack of product in this market too. there are few others, but there must be loads of unmined 'gold in them hills'

The Dereliks on Chopped Herring
    The Nonce on Dope Folks
    Motion Man Demos
    Casual on Dope Folks

i'd like some early Bored Stiff, Twisted Mind Kids or other stuff of that ilk

DWG Warrior
    Good suggestions ^

The sheer amount of great CD only Rap from California is daunting. Lots of potential to release stuff but not sure the market is big enough.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    I imagine a big chunk of that market is in Europe which has traditionally been more East Coast orientated which might explain it.

Also, I could be wrong but seems like there was a different approach to recording out west. I remember one artist (E40 maybe) saying how they couldn't believe NYC rappers were giving away so much music for free online and on mixtapes on the early/mid 00s.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Copacetic View Post
    The Parts Unknown release , Stonesthrow's few bits (Arabian Prince / Peanut Butter Wolf Tapes /Charizma / Precious & Passion /Chunky A), and that great boxset by The Egyptian Lover, aside; are there any other unreleased West Coast projects from this period.

(just remembered the ESP/Alkaholics demos).

There has to be gold in them hills but the unreleased Hip Hop music cottage industry (respect!) seems to love the East Coast. Is that the main reason for a lack of product? Or are the artists harder to reach? Or customers only like East Coast?

Thanks for reading.
    which artists were you thinking about?

I have some west coast projects in the pipeline and more that I'm working on... I do wonder how a proper 'Bay Area' record would sell on DWG but I'm happy to give it a shot... admittedly the stuff I'm working on at the moment is more Hiero'esque than Too Short...

DWG Warrior
    I would love some 75 Girls era Too Short, MC Freddy B, MC Pooh, ATC, Parts Unknown, Paris, DU-era stuff out of San Fran / Oakland. Or on the LA tip some first-gen sample based stuff / first wave G-Funk after Electro dropped away. I like that there was so much cassette/CD only stuff that could have potential for a vinyl release.

Thanks

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    I have some west coast projects in the pipeline and more that I'm working on... I do wonder how a proper 'Bay Area' record would sell on DWG but I'm happy to give it a shot... admittedly the stuff I'm working on at the moment is more Hiero'esque than Too Short...
    This has to be Plan Bees "Quest For Survival" I hope!!!
    DO-City´s Calling

DWG Warrior
    A lot of stuff out there...

From the DU camp i remember a dope Money B demo tape that was sold a few years ago. Plus two or three Sleuth Production (DU management) demos.
    I think you could also get a nice unreleased Saafir project together...he has a ton of material...