Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

DWG Warrior

Hip Hop Nerdery Question About Sample Firsts... First Hip Hop song to Sample A different Song

Someone asked me this and I did not know the answer nor could I find any definitive answer online. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or maybe it's just not easy to find so that's when I know to turn to this place for collective heads' answers.

What was the first Hip Hop song to sample another song of any genre? (I'm not talking about which was the first song to use a sampler, I'm talking about a Hip Hop song that takes an actual section of another preexisting song and loops it repeatedly as one of the primary elements for their own song.)

Part 2... What was the first Hip Hop song to sample another Hip Hop song in the same manor? (This could be nothing more than the scratching of an a capella version of a track or it could be jacked beats or whatever, but like above this means it's a direct use of a section of a preexisting rap song)

DWG Warrior
    Good question;

The earliest I can think of that actually sounded like "samples" were;

Question 1 - Beastie Boys "Rock Hard" - 1985 (AC/DC "Back In Black")

OR Marley Marl - "Marley Marl Scratch" - again 1985.

Question 2 - Word of Mouth & DJ Cheese "King Kut" - 1985 - Lots of (what sound like samples) of Run DMC's "Jam Master Jay" plus other vocal samples, on the "New Version" / "Bonus Beat" version.

But that second one could have been a clever "tape splice" type of thing of the sort the "Latin Rascals" were famous for.....
    Last edited by Tha_Disc_Eater; 11-04-19 at 08:05 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Answer to part 2 has to be Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash On The Wheels Of Steel in 1981 which features snippets from songs by Spoonie Gee, Sugarhill Gang, and the Furious Five.

DWG Warrior
    /\ I think RChecka means using an "actual" sampler - I don't think the technology was invented until 1983-84ish - perhaps Herbie Hancock "Rockit" may have used a sampler. But again, DST was cutting and scratching on that one.

Jazzy Jay is cutting Kurtis Blow 'The Breaks' on 'Its Yours' from 84...

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by raredave View Post
    Jazzy Jay is cutting Kurtis Blow 'The Breaks' on 'Its Yours' from 84...
    You lucky sod having that version!

DWG Warrior
    Well, RChecka did say that his criteria was "This could be nothing more than the scratching of an a capella version of a track or it could be jacked beats or whatever, but like above this means it's a direct use of a section of a preexisting rap song"

So, if that's the criteria then it's gotta be Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash... innit.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Well, RChecka did say that his criteria was "This could be nothing more than the scratching of an a capella version of a track or it could be jacked beats or whatever, but like above this means it's a direct use of a section of a preexisting rap song"

So, if that's the criteria then it's gotta be Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash... innit.
    Would have helped if I read the question properly!

I think you are right, in this case.

Extra nerd fact - I have the "test pressing" of Adventures on the Wheels of Steel

DWG Warrior
    Is Rappers Delight disqualified as its replaying rather than sampling?

DWG Warrior
    Was thinking about a similar thing the other day. First person to sample Nautilus, first James Brown sample, first to use certain words & phrase etc

Was Premier the first person to do the wordplay thing in the chorus?