Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    Hi there; if you did your dissertation on "sampling", I'd be interested to know who was considered "qualified enough" to review and score it? Everything is still really within 25-30 years, so very obvious that some people (who think they are "experts") might not be in possession of all the facts.

I am surprised there is even such an exam - what qualification was this?
    I have a BA Hons degree in Publishing Studies & did my dissertation on sampling in terms of music publishing. This was in 1999 so only 8 years after sampling had been ruled as theft & income could be derived from samples. I used quotes from interviews where sampling was brought up to show the perspectives of the people who sample & the people who have been sampled.

DWG Warrior
    Wow! Your dissertation sounds a hell of lot more interesting than the one I did at Uni!

Is it available to read anywhere?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    Wow! Your dissertation sounds a hell of lot more interesting than the one I did at Uni!

Is it available to read anywhere?
    ha ha no its at my parents, will probably dig it out one day for a laugh!

DWG Warrior
    My guess for question 1: Grandmaster Melle Mel - The truth sampling Boogie Boys- Breakdancer (used the drums)

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djricochet View Post
    Sucker MC's samples Live at the Disco Fever by Lovebug Starski so that could be your answer for number 2 as well?
    If this is correct it could be the answer for number 1 as well coz that was '83

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Hmmm. Does it really sample Live At The Disco Fever?

Isn't Sucker MC's just Larry Smith & Orange Krush using their same drum pattern from Live At The Disco Fever in a different, starker way?
    If you look at their debut album on wiki it lists it as a sample. However, just found this if you click on it as a single:

The title Krush-Groove 1 stems from the fact that it is one of four songs (along with "Hollis Crew (Krush-Groove 2)," "Darryl & Joe (Krush-Groove 3)," and "Together Forever (Krush-Groove 4)") by the rap duo that used backing tracks made by Orange Krush to rap over.[10] All of the rhythm tracks aside from the drums of the original Orange Krush recording were removed by Orange Krush member Davy DMX, which inspired the lyric "Dave cut the record down to the bone".[citation needed]The sparse "beat only" track became a catalyst for the future emphasis on the drum beat and a break away from the more elaborate music production rap music was known for at the time.[citation needed] In the case of "Sucker M.C.'s", there was a loud, Oberheim DMXdrum machine, a few scratches and nothing else, while the rhymes harangued weak rappers, which the song refers to by name, and contrasted them to the group's success.[11] "It's Like That" and "Sucker M.C.'s" relied completely on synthetic sounds via an Oberheim DMX drum machine, ignoring samples entirely.

Therefore i think BB is right with Jam Master Jay sampling Magic Disco Band's Scratchin for number 1 as it was the b side to Hard Times & released 11th dec '83

DWG Warrior
    Davy DMX also used the Orange Krush drum pattern for Spoonie Gee's The Big Beat in 1983.
    Last edited by BB; 20-04-19 at 01:40 PM.

Far from the first use but I thought it was really cool when Ice T used the "pump it up homeboy" line by the Beasties in Ya Dont Quit, that was probably the first rapper sampling rapper moment that I noticed and I remember me and my mates having a chat about in in the school playground with someone (Howard I think) saying it was biting using another rappers track/line in your own. Howard didn't stay into Hip Hop for long.
    That said I had heard King Kut before that but think I failed to notice the Run DMC samples.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    Was thinking about a similar thing the other day. First person to sample Nautilus, first James Brown sample, first to use certain words & phrase etc

Was Premier the first person to do the wordplay thing in the chorus?

I know Jeckyll and Hyde replayed Nautilus, but you would think My Mic is on fire has got to be one of the first to sample it.
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"