Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    First song to interpolate/replay Nautilus would surely be Jeckyll & Hyde's Doing The Do in 1982.

First song to sample it would maybe be Lord Shafiyq's My Mic Is On Fire?

DWG Warrior
    First replay of James I can think of is Spoonie Gee's Spoonie Is Back in 1981.

DWG Warrior
    wonder if this came out before gmf adventures , same year though 81

DWG Warrior
    Am I right in thinking that Nautilus is not on any of Lenny's Breakbeat LP's?
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Good info all, that didn't take long for answers.

Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    Is Rappers Delight disqualified as its replaying rather than sampling?
    Yeah rather than replaying or covering, for the sake of this discussion at least, I'm talking about directly sampling the original. The gear used is less important than the actual process of "literally taking" the music as it previously existed and reusing it, but it could be done with tape loops or actual samplers.

It's interesting that this was the wild west of sampling laws time, anything goes, a la carte, take what you want. Obviously in an extreme example, albums like Paul's Boutique would not exist had current laws existed.

Still there was a first to be so bold as to just say fuck it I'm taking it and did it and that's what I mean. Maybe it was done without anyone noticing or any real fanfare but eventually it became common practice.

One more clarification, I am asking about actual rap songs where the primary artist credited is rapping over a beat for both questions. Rather than a cut-n-paste or mega mix songs Hip Hop song like GMF and the Wheels of steel where there is no one primary rapper rapping. It's great info nonetheless no doubt that song is the first cut-n-paste song of it's kind to use other rap songs in a mega mix style, but I'm thinking of a track where the primary element is the rapper credited on the label using another rap song's sample. Like RD's example.

So far I think the earliest examples for each are:
    Question 1 - Beastie Boys "Rock Hard" - 1985 (AC/DC "Back In Black")
    Question 2: Jazzy Jay is cutting Kurtis Blow 'The Breaks' on 'Its Yours' from 84

Not sure what I'd call that Live Convention 81, I have that too and it's more of a live show and kind of an anomaly albeit a really cool one. Unrelated, there's another live convention too but I can't ever remember that one.

Once there is consensus on the answers and we have the earliest examples known I'll put them on the original post for a TLDR and for searchability.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by rchecka View Post
    So far I think the earliest examples for each are:

Question 1 - Beastie Boys "Rock Hard" - 1985 (AC/DC "Back In Black")
    There must be something earlier than that. I did my dissertation on sampling. I think the landmark case, which led to current laws, was in December '91 when Biz Markie sampled Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again.

DWG Warrior
    Jam Master Jay by Run-D.M.C used the Magic Disco Band Scratchin' horns quite prominently throughout. Does that count?

DWG Warrior
    Sucker MC's samples Live at the Disco Fever by Lovebug Starski so that could be your answer for number 2 as well?

DWG Warrior
    Hmmm. Does it really sample Live At The Disco Fever?

Isn't Sucker MC's just Larry Smith & Orange Krush using their same drum pattern from Live At The Disco Fever in a different, starker way?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djricochet View Post
    There must be something earlier than that. I did my dissertation on sampling. I think the landmark case, which led to current laws, was in December '91 when Biz Markie sampled Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again.
    Hi there; if you did your dissertation on "sampling", I'd be interested to know who was considered "qualified enough" to review and score it? Everything is still really within 25-30 years, so very obvious that some people (who think they are "experts") might not be in possession of all the facts.

I am surprised there is even such an exam - what qualification was this?