Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

UK rap charting in US

I've had this conversation before on Facebook & i don't know if this is the best place to post this but it's difficult to find info by googling. Just wondering what are the most successful releases by UK rap artists in the US. I know Tinie got to 11 with the Written In The Stars single & 21 with the Discovery album & Stereo MC's got to 20 with the Connected single. I know both artists had other releases that charted in the US but lower but don't know any other artists?

DWG Warrior
    Monie Love's It's A Shame was a hit in America.

Not exactly rap, but Tricky's Christiansands was a minor hit there too, hence it being featured in Face/Off.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Monie Love's It's A Shame was a hit in America.

Not exactly rap, but Tricky's Christiansands was a minor hit there too, hence it being featured in Face/Off.
    Ah nice info. It's a Shame got to 26 & the respective Down To Earth album got to 109. Can't find any US chart info on Tricky singles but didn't realise he'd had 6 albums chart in the US with Angels with Dirty Faces being the most successful at 84. As you say not exactly rap but i suppose Juxtapose is his most rap album with production from Muggs & Dame Grease & a couple features from Bionic, though ironically it was his least successful of the 6 that charted at 182.

Good subject, its rare but sometime I notice a UK rap record got a US release and wonder to myself did they really think that would be a hit/break though over there?
    They tried to push Merlin in the US, releasing his awful album over there with different artwork and surprisingly a few different tracks to the UK release, so its got me wondering if there are any gems on the US version.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by francois parker View Post
    They tried to push Merlin in the US, releasing his awful album over there with different artwork and surprisingly a few different tracks to the UK release, so its got me wondering if there are any gems on the US version.
    Funny you should say that, theres 7 tracks off the uk release & 7 new tracks. I was trying to see if i could listen to it online & it said you could on Amazon so i downloaded the app but no joy! They do however have the cd very cheap so was thinkin of maybe getting it.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Didn't Derek B's Lp get a US release? Along with a couple of his singles along with the some other artists on MOL, not sure if they did anything though.

Oh Cookie Crew's Females got a US release on TVT but again not sure if it did anything though.

DWG Warrior
    Yeah Derek B was on Profile in the states. He had a track on one of those Mr Magic compilations too.

Both Cookie Crew albums got released in the US.

DWG Warrior
    Yeah Cookie Crew hit genre specific US charts with a couple of their singles & their 1st album but not the billboard. Not sure about Derek B.

DWG Warrior
    Dizzee Rascal - Maths + English was put out by Def Jux in the US in 2008 and there was a pretty big push to get him on here including touring with El-P in the states, didn't work out that well though