Welcome to the DWG Forums.
    DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!

End of vinyl in Europe????

If this is true, it could well mean, for the foreseeable future vinyl production could seriously slow down, until other methods are found, especially in the EU:
    https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampp...o-record-sales

DWG Warrior
    in the last alinea there seems to be an alternative? Also they need to stop repressing albums that are already available, who tf needs the umpteenth pressing of a U2 record anyways. Oh wait, why dont we just recycle those?

DWG Warrior
    It won’t stop whilst there is money to be made, even if the material changes to another type of plastic they will still press records whilst there is money waiting to be paid for them.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_Mao View Post
    It won’t stop whilst there is money to be made, even if the material changes to another type of plastic they will still press records whilst there is money waiting to be paid for them.
    I agree, but with the world currently on a use less plastic vibe, higher pressures may be in play here, especially as the EU is already planning on banning PVC the main ingredient from which Vinyl is made, I do see the vinyl industry being hit hard soon, it might recover when alternatives have been found, but for the foreseeable future, I do envisage that there will be a slow down of vinyl being produced in the EU, the bigger companies will look further afield to produce vinyl, but I feel the smaller independent labels may get hard in the coming years.

DWG Warrior
    I think they’ll probably be ok, they may just have to accept reduced profits (which most boutique labels could weather as the majority already over charge for their output) or more likely the consumer will end up paying another increase in price for their product.
    I honestly doubt things will end, we’ve seen other problems hit the industry and it has suffered and recovered and the same will happen again, where there is profit to be made there are people waiting to make it, to paraphrase Jurassic Park “Money finds a way...”
    On the other hand, if all record production ceased immediately it wouldn’t be the end of the world for a lot of collectors, personally about 30% of my purchase are new releases however they probably make up a much higher percentage of my money spent due to the inflated cost of most new releases, even none ltd pressings. So a cessation of new releases would simply allow me to focus on buying old records of which there are many I “need”.
    Last edited by Imperial_Mao; 12-05-19 at 02:51 AM.